Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floating cement trucks!

Options
pk
pk Member Posts: 3
for posting those for us. Two of my best friends in life are both pump operatator veterans. (20+years each). Plus they are addicted to fishing. they would throw a hook in a mud puddle and troll if they had time. Your pics are going to be on the shop wall come Monday. Who says radiant aint fun!
respectfully,
pk.

Comments

• leo g_25
    leo g_25 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    how we \"do it\" on the west coast

• leo g_25
    Options
    arr-arr-arr

avast matey
  • leo g_25
    Options
    swab them decks!

!
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I don't even want to think

About what that little expedition cost!! But it appears the Ho has the funds to build on his own island so it's likely not a big deal to him.
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Leo

is that near Lummi Island?

friend has some property there, and wants to build his house, and yes with radiant heat!!!

Chris
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Leo.....

Is that the only way to get to the home ? You gotta spill the beans brother , where is this slice of heaven ?

Looks alot like a couple of nice places I've visited On and just off of Vancouver Island . Chris
  • leo g_25
    Options
    chris,

i'm pretty sure that it is not near lummi. actually, across the water, a bit to the left are the university of british columbia endowment lands and campus. keats, bowen anvil, etc are the near islands

leo g.
  • leo g_25
    Options
    jca,

this is just a small island, about 30 yards off the main shore in west vancouver. there use to be a cable boat to get there when there were less homes and the yatch club was smaller, but as time went by, they opened up more of the island. there are now about 33 homes there, and the yatch club is huge! every owner has thier own little barge, rowboat, etc. gas, water, sewer and electricity is provided. this chap has us pricing out a dual system, gas and wood.

have never installed a wood boiler before, so am hoping that he will go with it!

leo g
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Leo,

that is one cool looking project.Keep us connected!What wood boilers are you considering?How about coal?I'm guessing wood is a bit more available on the island.Great job man!Check out Buderus' solid fuel boilers......here's the link.

http://www.buderus.net

cheese
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Yo LEO

LEO-O (Marching song from the Wizard of Oz)

Obviously, they've not discovered Gypcrete in your neck of the woods yet, or is it just too darned expensive?

That looks like the Youker system, does it not?

Great view. What a wonderful place to have to work.

Keep us posted as the project continues to evolve.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • leo g_26
    leo g_26 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    prof,

for some reason every job we do here on the wet coast, the builders use cement. usually with fibres in it though. don't know why not gyp, maybe is to expensive, or cement is just the historical way....

what's a youker job (asking somewhat fearfully!!!!)

leo g
  • leo g_26
    Options
    mr cheese,

i proposed a buderus for the gas boiler, but the owner is a bit of a hippy, so he said that he would prefer something local. so once again, the ole dependable Allied steel boiler will be getting used. as for the wood boiler, i'm not sure yet, as i'm waiting for a quote from my wholesaler. but i do know that there is a manufacter up country here in british columbia, so i'm hoping that it will be one of theirs.

leo g
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    The Youker method...

was developed by John Siegenthalers friend and business associate, Harvey Youker. It entails putting down the sole plates for the walls and using them as screed guides when using a light weight mixture of concrete. He chronicles it's development and use in his book on Hydronic Heating of Residential and Light Commercial buildings.

Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to get the job done...

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    wood fired boilers

Leo - There's a few being made here in the Kootenays - the most popular is the one from Manitoba though. All are open boilers so a heat exchanger is required. I should have taken pictures of the first one we put in. The ho filled the sytem up to the relief opening and piled in the fir - it's amazing how far a glycol/water mixture can eject itself - once it gets to the right temp!
    Cheers from Cranbrook - (oh how I miss the fishing on the coast!)
    Glen
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Curious

In eastern Canada there tends to be more European influence that American, does that hold true for British Columbia or does logistics cause western Canadians to be more influenced by us Yanks? I love Canada by the way it seems more structured than the U.S. (or is this just my imagination?)

M.P. 1969

• leo g_26
    Options
    LOL!

> Leo - There's a few being made here in the

> Kootenays - the most popular is the one from

> Manitoba though. All are open boilers so a heat

> exchanger is required. I should have taken

> pictures of the first one we put in. The ho

> filled the sytem up to the relief opening and

> piled in the fir - it's amazing how far a

> glycol/water mixture can eject itself - once it

> gets to the right temp! Cheers from Cranbrook -

> (oh how I miss the fishing on the coast!) Glen

• leo g_26
    Options
    LOL!

thanx for the heads-up glen! I also miss the fishing here (to damn busy right now!). Haven't had the time to find out which boiler yet (yeah i know, if i have time for the wall... ) LOL!!

leo g
  • leo g_26
    Options
    rich,

well tekmar does have its' head office and plant just up the highway from me!!! and viessmann is here too! but i think that we get the best of both worlds here.

we have a heating code, this goes for warm air also, that is applied in some areas. the hydronic code i know is going to be national in '03 (there's that structure for you).

aside from the duty that has been applied to our softwood exports to you guys, my feeling is that in most cases we see each other as the best of neighbours!

leo g

ps - love that Miller hi-life!!!
  • leo g_26
    Options
    hey PK,

glad i could bring some happiness into your life!

leo g
This discussion has been closed.