Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Diagrams

Options
Larry,

I can send you one of our "Engineers Manual" CD's -- it has a bunch of wiring diagrams (mostly res gas).

If you have any specific ones in mind, let me know -- we have a complete library of all of our boiler manuals (going back about 100 years, I think). These are all hardcopy, but I can scan or fax specific ones that you need/desire.

Send me your address (off line) & I will get the CD out to you.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wright
Weil-McLain

Comments

• Larry_7
    Larry_7 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Older wiring diagrams needed

I've been working with an apprentice who is almost as overwhelmed by hvac circuits as I was not so long ago. It seems like he's had adequate hands-on, but just tends to try memorizing the infinite circuit combinations rather than use a process to go through the diagnosing stage with the diagram as a guide. What would be very useful at this point is a variety of residential warm-air and/or boiler schematics, preferably from older systems, simple to intermediate for now (up to and including induced draft). Heck, we still got lots of the old green Bryant furns. around here, although the shredded remains of their diagrams are probably somewhere in the ducts. I remember like it was yesterday how dumbfounded I was trying to understand the wiring and controls on those relics...not to mention the additional challenge of figuring out the wiring and relay arrangements after A/C was added on.
    Some intense schematic reading practice is in order now. I'm pretty sure things are about to click with him. No luck searching the web... my eyes started crossing after about the 500th search result. Anyone able to help out can email me or point me toward some links.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thanks,

Larry
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    wiring

I got a book, long ago from a wholesaler called "the Hot" book.It had every possible wiring digram for almost any control combination. Is a Great book, still in my van somewhere.Helped when first starting. I don't remember which wholesaler,but ask your reps. maybe put out by honeywell?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Try...

my friend Carol Fey has a book or two out that are well written.

Dan has them for sale at http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/index.cfm?category=2

The problem that I find with most pipe trades technicians is that they have a tendency to think one dimensionally when it comes to wiring. They think about wiring like they think about piping. "The water can only flow in one direction." When they try and think about electricity flowing in two different directions under one jacket, they get lost.

I know, because I used to have the same affliciton. I'd actually strip the red and white wires out of an 18/2 cable just to make sure I wired the system the same way I envisioned it in my pipe fitting mind.

The other problem (as pointed out by Carol Fey in her books) is that the terminology between the two trades is completely backwards. A normally open valve allows flow, a normally open relay doesn't...and vice-versa.

Have Happy Thanks Giving day!!

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    The Hot Book

I'm, Not sure if this number is still good or not? But this is the number from my Hot Book (518) 283 3506

Heating Operation Technologies
    17 Billings Ave, Troy, NY 12180

And yes this is an outstanding book.

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Wiring diagrams

I have just what you are looking for. They are mostly gas diagrams. I can also recommend on the oil side a book by George Lanthier of Firedragon Enterprises called "Wiring and Oil Burning Equipment" An Advanced Primer. Send me an e-mail and i will give you all the info you need to order.
  • Larry_7
    Options
    Thanks all

For the helpful replies. I'll search for the hot book and Timmie may have something brewing for me. Carol Fey's books never occurred to me. Darn, is free shipping still on?

Thanks,

Larry
  • Unknown
    Options
    Larry, manufacturer's websites may help

Our site has all of our Installation and Operation manuals on it, many others do too.

http://www.slantfin.com/boilerpdf/index.html

Noel
  • Books on the way

Larry I am sending you three books of diagrams (free) and some other information you can look over and order if you want. I take all of the manufacturers diagrams and put them into manuals with a detailed sequence of operation and step by step troubleshooting.
  • Larry_7
    Options
    Really, Timmie

You are indeed the Man. This will be the second time you've come through for me. I'm all choked up here. Let me know what I can do for you or email me the address of your favorite charity. What a guy! What a place.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday

Larry
  • Larry_7
    Options
    Thanks, Noel

Nice site. Also after checking into Slant Fin, I saw a neat-looking CD (Hydronic Explorer)? Anyway it looked useful so I got that going on. Ask a question around here and doors start flying open in every direction.

Thanks,

Larry
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    wiring diagrams

i have some diagrams from when i attended oil burner school in the mid 1980s i can fax you the info if you need them there on oil systems warm air, steam and hot water

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Larry_7
    Options
    Yes Bill

I am interested in the cd. Please forgive me but I'm confused about sending you my address offline. By this, do you mean to send it to your email or some other way? It's late; my reading comprehension must be low.

While I've got you on the other end, let me say that some of the diagrams in the online Ultra inst. manual are blurry and slightly unreadable. The supply house is supposed to be getting me a copy. Just thought I'd mention it if it wasn't already known. I'm anxious to hear about these boilers as they make their way into the field.

Thanks,

Larry
This discussion has been closed.