Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Paint Steam Radiators

Options
Hello: I just got done stripping the paint off my old steam radiators, all that is left is a bronze and silver paint. What type of paint can I use that will not crack off?

Someone mentioned Rustoleum "stops rust" has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Comments

• Dave_23
    Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Painting rads

I would recommend having the rads sandblasted, as opposed to stripping (If you can get the rad out of the house). I use Rustoleum spray can primer (red oxide) then use Rustoleum spray can white. Over time, the white rad will fade to sort of a cream color.

To me, sandblasting is the best way to get off years/layers of paint, which BTW may be lead contaminated. Therefore, the sandblasting company handles disposal, instead of you and your household. Typically, I pay about $20 per rad with a 24 hour turnaround on blasting. Note: The rad must be primed within 24 hours to avoid oxidation.

I've had excellent results with this method.
  • Dave_23
    Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Painting rads

I would recommend having the rads sandblasted, as opposed to stripping (If you can get the rad out of the house). I use Rustoleum spray can primer (red oxide) then use Rustoleum spray can white. Over time, the white rad will fade to sort of a cream color.

To me, sandblasting is the best way to get off years/layers of paint, which BTW may be lead contaminated. Therefore, the sandblasting company handles lead disposal, not you and your household. Typically, I pay about $20 per rad with a 24 hour turnaround on blasting. Note: The rad must be primed within 24 hours to avoid oxidation.

I've had excellent results with this method.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Radiator Paint

You may want to check out you local automotive store. Engine block enamel and exhaust manifold paints are made to take the heat. However color selection is somewhat limited.

Boilerpro
  • greg_7
    greg_7 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Radiators were originally "bronzed" which is made by mixing bronze or aluminum powder with a bronzing liguid (varnish).

I'm not sure of the type of varnish. I have some in my basement as well as the powders.

I've never tried to use it.

I have used rustoleum aluminum and it covered great and held up well.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Rads!

The suggestion of sandblasting is a great idea.One thing about painting the rads is you need to be careful of what paint you use.Outgassing may leave you with some foul stench for sometime.Engine block paint sounds like a good idea.But the best(not the cheapest) would be powder coating.Many of the sandblasting companies will also paint and or sandblast.

cheese
This discussion has been closed.