Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

difference between Heat Pumps?

Options
Can any one here help Bert out with the question below?
"Would you please explain the difference (if any) between a Residential Package Heat Pump with Gas Heat And a Split Heat Pump With Gas backup.

Also I would like the location of a dealer or distributor in Huntsville Al. "

Tip: Engineering ebooks on topics like pumps at
www.bin95.com/ebooks/

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    heatpumps

i think you might be better going to hvac-talk.com and asking your question good luck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    I sent him here.

Figured our Southern gentlemen can help.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Don_2
    Don_2 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Not much

That is as far as btu are concern.Now for installation reason the package can be a blessing no worry about not enough combustion air, drain lines and the problem that go with drain problem,no line sets and losses to worry about,not even a concern for stack pipe issue.However you are limited to crawl space installation on residental installed.That the only difference in a package and the split system.

Now if you are thinking warranty then the split system is a better deal.With most package equipment only gives a 10 year heat exchanger warranty and again you are limited to
    80 afue efficiency on the gas side,and not many high cop
    package out there either on the heat pump side.

One other thing come's to mind and the only people I know that made a dual fuel package unit was carrier,and I am not sure if they still do.
    And keep in mind also wheather can really play havoc on outdoor equipment,thats why they only offer 10 year warranty
    So if I was to offer the package unit it would not be for efficiency reason but more for the limitation of not being able to installed a split system.
    If all possible go with a split,better warranty and more option as fars as efficiency and comfort is a concern.
    Hope this helps
  • mike terry
    mike terry Member Posts: 33
    Options
    dual fuel/ splits/package units

As a general rule the package units are not as efficiant
    as a split system. If you want dual fuel,A nice condensing
    gas furnace or better yet an oil furnace with a heat pump coil works great. Its as good as forced air gets.Carrier makes a super dual fuel stat.
  • tim from Reed Wright
    Options
    re; heat pumps

> As a general rule the package units are not as

> efficiant as a split system. If you want dual

> fuel,A nice condensing gas furnace or better yet

> an oil furnace with a heat pump coil works great.

> Its as good as forced air gets.Carrier makes a

> super dual fuel stat.

This discussion has been closed.