Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEWS FLASH! Get ready guys...

Options
billygoat22
billygoat22 Member Posts: 124
The mold scare has hit in Varginia at a local school. It's a big deal to parents, but why aren't they looking in their own homes for it too? Haven't seen an air handler yet that wasn't dirty, nasty and almost all have mold in them. Why am I still alive if low exposure is considered dangerous?

Comments

• BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Here it comes...

The United States Toxic Mold Safety & Protection Act of 2002 is working its way through Congress. While it is certain to change as it makes its way thru these hallowed halls,and is passed, it will establish a Federal law that will have a profound effect on the industry. Only California has its own State Mold Law, but Michigan, New York, Texas, North Carolina & Massachusetts have their versions in the legislative process.

Once the law is passed and signed, the Federal EPA will work with the states to implement the standards and techniques by June 2004. These will be mandatory! After January 1, 2004, mold inspections will be mandatory, performed by a certified mold inspector for any house or building that will be mortaged through any Federal agency or program. The states will probably follow through with their own versions of this inspection & certification requirement.

I'll have more info at Wetstock...stop by my "dealer's choice" table & we'll talk. See you all on Saturday!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    As with all legislation...

...you have to ask "Who wants it and who benefits?"

If you say "the people" you're either an eternal optimist or a jaded liberal.

If you say "trial attorneys" go to the head of the class. Yet another example of a problem blown out of all reasonable proportion (aka asbestos).

More class action lawsuits; more searching for deep pockets--not necessarily because any actual harm has been caused but just because the potential might exist for harm.

Higher insurance, more governmental costs, more lawsuits all translate to higher prices/less choice for the very people the law supposedly "protects."

I bet the board members of any company that has ever had anything to do with any forced air or ventillation system are getting awfully jittery...

When I first heard of class-action lawsuits I actually though them a very good idea--"little people" genuinely wronged could pool resources and have a good chance against a giant enterprise. They even offered the potential to relieve some of the court overload by combining many small cases into one big case.

Human nature (and lawyers) being what they are have utterly perverted this original intent. Those wanting to cash in literally seek out problems--even the potential for problems. I'll never understand this aspect of human nature only knowning that it literally sickens me.

Yet another example of what seems good turning horribly bad with the very people it is supposed to help paying the price.

There are a couple things that can be done: 1) stop electing lawers into public office 2) change that TERRIBLE law that allows attorneys to advertise--that one NEVER had the potential for good.

Also (joking here a bit) go back to the real roots of Roman Law (to where most of our common law can be traced) where ALL lawyers were low-paid civil servants--not just district attorneys.
  • Mike Reavis_2
    Mike Reavis_2 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    If you want to better understand the motivations

of these people check out a book on Dan's reading list. I am only half-way through "ATLAS SHRUGGED"; and I may totally change my mind by the time I am done with this tome; however, it throws some light on the coachroach infested halls of some of our American institutions. Give Dan's words concern the book a read.

Hey Dan, Who is John Gault, anyway?
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    I think

I posted about this some time ago.

This is going to be bigger than "white insulation".

My advice, look very hard at your liability coverage.

Trial lawyers and "experts" are waiting to sue you. Forced air folks will be a favorite target but not the only target.

Folks!! I can't emphasize enough the importance of understanding building sciences.

Now a prediction: CO will be next on the list!! If you install ANY combustion appliance and do not check to make sure it is venting properly, get ready to be sued if it doesn't.

The writing is on the wall.(Different wall)

There are studies that have potentially linked CO to SIDS and a league of other nasty ailments.

Mold is already a huge issue and it will become a huge litigious issue in the near future.

We have to look at the house as a whole system and understand what the effect our new system will have on that system.

Anyone interested in finding out more on this e-mail me.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.