Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Motorless Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Options
Alaska Joe
Alaska Joe Member Posts: 37
Am interested in learning how TRV's (such as Honeywell T-100/V-100) truly operate. How does the thermostatic portion of the TRV send a signal to the actuator of the valve, and such. Thanks Alot!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wax...

with bits of copper mixed in. A slight change in ambient temperature causes the wax to melt (temperature increase), which causes an expansion in volume. This translates into a mechanical action, closing the valve. When the wax cools, it contracts, thereby opening the valve.

Whats really cool about these non electric valves (all of them) is that thier operations are proportional to demand. In other words, if they need just a little heat, the valve opens just a little bit and allows just a little flow to satify the demand. If the valve needs a LOT of flow, it opens a LOT and flows a WHOLE bunch of water.

It's a standard in Europe, just being discovered here in the land of the Bang Bang Boom control logics.

Did I answer your question?

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    Gas

is also used. We use the Oventrop brand. The gas head is about 5 bucks more, but is reputed to be a bit more accurate.

Gary

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Alaska Joe
    Alaska Joe Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank-You

Demand proportionate, that's excellent information. I help maintain an office building that has many TRV's, and they've been working flawlessly for I guess ten years (says my boss). But a new company engineer believes the TRV's are 'Mickey Mouse', and is considering having them all replaced with motorized zone valves. I just wanted some info from you guys who've been around awhile and have worked with both. Thanks again!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    Mickey

knows more about heat than he does- constant circulation with individual room sensors are the way to go. Zone valves are how we did it in the old days...why stop the heat if the building is still losing it?

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    TRVs Mickey Mouse?

I think that engineer needs to go back to the books. I've yet to find a source saying that proportional control (TRVs, pneumatics, etc.) is in ANY way inferior to digital control (valves, etc.) It wins with comfort, economy and reliability--what more can you ask?

I think the inherent ability of proportional devices to compensate for less-than-ideal balance between areas might lead to some engineers thinking they are somehow inferior to tight design. BUT, when a 300w bulb in a floor lamp in my 15' x 15' office (an old house--reasonably insulated/reasonable infiltration) can raise the temp nearly 2 degrees in an hour, how balanced can ANY design be anyway?

Proportional devices compensate not only for design imbalances, but changes in occupancy load as well...and they do it MUCH more tightly than nearly any digital device. To make it even better, they do this with extremely little concern for "micro-zoning."

I also think some engineers get literally hung up in their numbers--they want to know that when zone "a" and zone "b" call for heat that "x" gallons per minute will flow--REGARDLESS of inside/outside conditions. Proportional devices do not do this and this "unknown" seems to bother some people. As temperature LIMITING devices there is nothing particularly difficult about sizing/piping them and information on doing this is easily available and accurate.

• J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    What Bozo....

Would replace something mechanical , that WORKS for something electrical that is subject to a higher failure rate ?Never replaced a TRV , can't count how many zone valves I've replaced .(need way more fingers in the eyes of an engineer ) Chris
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Watch it!

I can see picking on Mickey; he's got all the money, but don't start in on Bozo!

Children of the Fifties, rise up and defend your clown!
    Retired and loving it.
  • J.C.A.
    Options
    No offense intended .

BTW , I was once on the Bozo show in Boston . (MY MY ...THAT was a long time ago !)Chris
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yikes!

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    and

so was I........
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Was it always

the same Bozo? Or do you think there were regional Bozos? Or substitute Bozos?

I know that there are at least three Mickeys. Three of every character, in fact.

Did Bozo ever marry?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Boston's Bozo

was Frank Averuch, recently from WCVB TV Boston, channel 5. Most recently, he did morning magazine style TV there. I have no clue how many OTHER Bozos there are.

And Clarabelle the Clown was Captain Kangaroo.
  • Bozo

My Brother is an Oil Burner Service Man. He has been doing this woork for 40 years. Additionally he trouble shoots Steam, Water heating and Radiant heating, he also does control work on steam and water heating systems.

In the 40 years he has worked for two employers and survived the buy outs of the companies he work for.

His nick name is Bozo.

He is one of the best in the business and has never left a customer unhappy or needed a follow up.

Using the term Bozo seems to be derogatory, but in my view if you call some a Bozo you are giving a compliment.

My brother easrned his name by making people smile and laugh when they had noheat or hot water.

Jake
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I say,

Rock on, Bozo!
    Retired and loving it.
  • J.C.A.
    Options
    Not to get away from......

The subject matter (again, apologies to Jacobs brother), but yes Dan , Bozo was a regional actor . Noel got the one I met , but the newest Bozo (yes , they still use the character in these parts ) was a guy from Peabody . He did morning radio and when the show got the heave-ho he went on to be Bozo . Gary was his name . (been quite a while and my mind is slipping , can't remember the last name ) He did the Bozo gig in R.I. somewhere for quite a while too as I remember .
    Please everyone , I meant no offence ! Chris.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I am

crestfallen. Various and sundry Bozos spread across all of New England and beyond. Alas, my childhood dreams have been squashed. Sigh.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.