Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clean my pipes

Options
Dave Palmer
Dave Palmer Member Posts: 186
What can I use to clean threaded steam pipe BEFORE installs? So when the system first heats it won't smell of threading oil.I've heard vinegar works,and yes I don't shoot the oil up the pipe.Thanks Dave

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Dave, this works for me

good old dish washing soap! But I also find that even with this you still get allot of smell & smoke from the boiler sometimes. If a knock down look for the block that is rusty cause that is the one without any oil from factory and the one least likely to smoke.I bring a fan & odor-be-gone,which is quicker. You might be surprised how long it takes to wash pipe! time is money this time of year. John@Reliable
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I suppose a TSP

solution in a spray bottle may work.

I've noticed the Burnhams are particularly smelly on start up. They will set off smoke alarms also I discovered! Something to do with the binder in the insulation around the block, I think.

On the hw jobs I do I bring them up slowly over the course of an hour or the place will really stink. I, too keep a large box fan in the shop for quick ventilation. Don't run the fan when the burner is on however :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dave Palmer
    Dave Palmer Member Posts: 186
    Options
    wish

it was just the insulation,but odor comes up thru the vents on the radiators,of course the people would never let me crank it up and open all the windows,that would make to much sense.The joys of New England.
  • Bill @ Boro
    Bill @ Boro Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Helping the smell and keeping the jacket clean

You can help hide the smell of the oil burning off and also make your clean up easy at the end of the day by spraying the boiler jacket with Pam after the jacket is put on but before you do your piping. Sounds crazy but works.
This discussion has been closed.