Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Problem

Options
I have a project we have been working on that we are having a problem with.
We have a Weil McLain steam boiler with a 1000 SF steam output capacity. Last summer the radiators on the first floor, of a 3 story building, were completely removed. Since the boiler has been in operation this heating season the owner has been expieriencing water coming out of the radiators/air vents. Would you agree with my position that the decrease in total required steam volume, has incrased the velocity of the steam traveling to the remaining radiators and is not allowing the condensed water, by the way this is a 1 pipe counterflow system, to travel back to the boiler and is actually pushing the water up and out the radiator vent or the path of least resistance. Secondly, if a new boiler is sized for the remaining radiators can we still use the existing deivery system. I would greatly appreciate your input.
Thank You.
Tom Spall
T.E. Spall & Son Inc.
"The Comfort Doctors"

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Oil or gas?

Also when piping was removed did pitch of piping change? Any long runs left in place and capped? Any of returns remove from a low spot? The list could go on ,and on. If oil fired what about derating nozzle,Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • John G. Merritt
    John G. Merritt Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Drop Headers

I have a new installation with a "drop Header" I need any information on how to pipe this properly. I have inherited this job to straighten it out. Not sure how to repipe!
    Any information on Drop Header piping would be appreciated.
    This is a one pipe counterflow system. No main vents and
    reduced 11/2" piping to 1" 10 to 15 feet on the longest
    main supply to the radiators to the rear of the house!
    Bad surging and shortcycling as well.
    Need some help!
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Ron Jr

Has a great picture of this if he's listening maybe he could post it.
  • Just in time

Was just about to leave . This was my first drop header - Noel has a very good picture of one also . I also have a diagram of the specs for one but Im rushed for time . Ill post it tommorow if I can find it .
  • Unknown
    Options
    here it is

I put it away when I started for Slant/Fin.

For the cause of piping it right, here it is.
  • John G. Merritt
    Options
    Drop Headers

Thanks Todd,Ron,Noel for your help on drop headers.

John
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    My thought

If the mains worked before they are probably fine. I bet the velocity in the risers is very high now ( they are also counterflow,I suspect). Also during the repiping you may have disturbed or introduced alot of dirt into the boiler, and this may be causing the boiler to surge. I'd take a look at the gauage glass and see if teh water is bouncing up and down alot when the boiler is firing. Just a few things you might want to look at.

Boilerpro
  • John G. Merritt
    Options

Boilerpro:
    You're probably right and thanks for your help.

John
This discussion has been closed.