Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best boiler

Options
Frank_17
Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
I am in the first stages of building my dream house.I am planning on having the best of the best (heating and plumbing.)Though I put in many good systems for other people, I want my house to have all the perks. Radiant in garage,and house, snow melt, ada baths for my old age( which is many years away).
I have talked to my rep briefly about the Viessman boiler.He is going to set up a date with a rep from Viessman . so far I am impressed (but litterature does that).
I'm looking for feedback from someone with experience with these boilers, pros and cons. Am I on the right track?Questions to asked the rep?

Comments

• Chris Maderia
    Chris Maderia Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Viessmann

Have used Viessmann in about 25 applications. Have never had a problem, never had an unhappy customer, and have never worked with a better bunch of people than Ed and his gang at Viessmann. Now the question to you is which boiler are you looking at.
  • tim from Reed Wright
    Options
    Veissmann

> Have used Viessmann in about 25 applications.

> Have never had a problem, never had an unhappy

> customer, and have never worked with a better

> bunch of people than Ed and his gang at

> Viessmann. Now the question to you is which

> boiler are you looking at.

• tim from Reed Wright
    Options
    Veissmann

I agree, the boiler seems to be a very solid boiler, I would tend to stay away from the vitola as I notice it to be a bit noisy and more complex than needed. If you want to go simple I really like the ECD models. Space saving and quite solid. Note: I have seen many of there boilers but of late started to install a few. Been a die hard Burnham dealer for a long time.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Munchkin

Viessmann Vitodens looks like a winner, haven't used one yet.The munchkin boiler with their new control package is in my opinion second to none. Not sure when it will ship though. I rate this boiler as the best buy of what I have seen anywhere. IMHO
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Hi Frank,

You have plenty of pros for the heating and though you didn't ask I have a couple of items for the plumbing. If you use PVC or ABS for the waste lines use no-hub cast iron for the risers in the walls that are adjacent to any living areas. This will cut down dramatically on the noise from the waste.
    The second area in the plumbing is to be sure to size the water piping properly. Do not let the contractor just run 3/4" and 1/2" everywhere. If you have long runs with many fixtures on the ends you will require larger lines to insure the proper volume at the fixtures, decrease the noise level and eliminate most chances for hydraulic shock. You may want to install a return line if the major fixtures are more than 50 or 60 feet from the water heater. The convenience alone will more than offset the initial cost. A new house is always exciting-best of luck
  • joel_14
    joel_14 Member Posts: 116
    Options
    10 years+

With Viessmann the best oil or gas, done , end of story.
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Munchkin boiler info

go to www.htproducts.com or contact jeffc@htproducts.com
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    What fuel are you using

And what input will you need? I have lots of ideas but need more info on your system application. I'll just say that Viessmann is the best boiler in the world as far as I can see. The Vitodens is amazing. The Vitogas 100 is the sweetest cast iron atmospheric I've ever installed.

In the last month we've installed a 200K Vitorond oil, 2 Vitodens and a Vitogas 100. Superlative performance by all of them. The homeowners are extremely impressed. We also have projects coming up that will entail installation of another 4 Vitodens. Did I mention that I'm in love with this boiler????????

JMHO
  • Henry_4
    Henry_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    One nice thing

about the Viessmann is the ability to monitor multiple temperatures, both hi temp (traditional radiators) and low temp (rfh) at the same time.

Sure, most of your boilers are perfect at design, when need and temp are both the greatest, but by resetting water temp directly through the boiler, any Viessmann boiler will maintain high system eff. into the shoulder seasons (spring and fall).

Furthermore, by reseting, the Viessmann system will avoid cycling, and cycling is the efficiency killer. Add in the ability to climb up to limit on external demand (snowmelt or pool heating) or when domestic calls and simultaneously provide heating side protection, what one is left with is a thinking system that is continuously firing at optimum efficiency and temperature.

I know that the name in the email says Viessmann, but I have been around many boiler and control systems and have never found anything to compare apples to apples with Viessmann.

If you want a system CAD layout, email me with the details and I will send something back.

Henry
  • hombre de oleo
    hombre de oleo Member Posts: 17
    Options

I would like to vote for Energy Kinetics System 2000. Low mass ,true cold start with purge cycle, super quiet oil boiler that will blow the rest away, including that foreign boiler everyone else loves so. JMHO...
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    more info

I should have been more specific, my house is still on paper though with changes added daily. I will be using oil.I don't know the heat load yet. I do want radiant in the garage,and basement. Not really sold on staple up, though I do put it in when the customer asks. ( wood is a good insulator) I may go with lt pour on first floor.I would love plumbing ideas also. I'm my own conrtactor, so the money I save on that end, I feel I can get the best and still save$$. Every customer's house I go to , I like to look for something that makes that house unique. Naything from great fireplaces to marble counter tops.
    I have so many ideas that I want to incorporate into my own house, Tiled walk in showers,heated towl holders, etc...
    The foundation is going to be conctete filled foam blocks (r50) all the way to the eaves.That's the onlt thing that hasn't changed in my cad drawing so far. as I live in Maine and is snowing as i type.
    Thanks for any " hot " ideas, I'll throw you all a party when I finish.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Oil Fired

The Vitorond that we just put in service is 200,000 btu. It serves a church that has a total heated area of roughly 6,800 sq ft. The combustion test indicated burner efficiency to be 89.2% with a 145*-155* supply temp, return temp was running 120-125*. I thought this level of efficiency would be creating condensation and be burning dirty. We tested for smoke and found none so we left it alone. After a week in service I went back and popped the burner door open. There is no sign of soot or condensation in the boiler at all. It's as clean as a whistle. I've never seen this level of combustion eff. combined with clean burning on any other oil fired boiler. Would I put one of these in my house? ABSOLUTELY!!!
  • joel_14
    joel_14 Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Sorry Greg

Been there , done that, there really is no comparison. for starters low mass is not the way to go on oil. you want lots of well insulated mass to get as long a fire cycle as possable. With the insulation on a v there is almost no standby loss so it's size is not a detriment. If your going radiant or multy temperatures then system 2000 looses even more as V has all the controlls you could ever want right from the factory. You can run 3 different water temps from 1 boiler and one controll plus have integral domestic priority, biult in night set back, even communication remotely via a phone line. S2000 pulls very good eff numbers on your Testo but there is much more to true eff than that.
This discussion has been closed.