Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Professionalism, sales training, product knowledge

Options
Our industry is chock full of Professional guys ..both heating and plumbing contrators... i deal with them every day...I am proud to say that most guys want to learn, want to do a good job but lack the formal training. The soak up the knowledge we present at our frequent seminars... the sorry thing is that many give away their trades by working too cheaply, working for labor only and allowing unscrupulous general contractors to beat them out of $. AS a value added wholesaler , we try every day to educate our customer base in business as well as technical training. We opened our new "training Room", this September to further train our people and our customers.. I have the pleasure of working with some ofthe best and brightest in our industry and I learn much from them and am partners in profit with them . You dont see these top guys installing owner supplied boilers bought at HOME DEPOT or any other home center.. WE didnt "START THE FIRE" but we will help it burn brightly in those who care.

Prisco Panza
Shelton Winnelson Co
Shelton,Ct

Comments

• Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    one homeowner's experience

There has been a fair amount of discussion here lately about professionalism, sales training, product knowledge, homeowner's after free information, etc.

One recurring theme (here and on other Internet message boards and newsgroups) seems to be comparing the HVAC trade with doctors. While that analogy may provide some level of comfort among those in the trade, I don't think it's going to be effective in trying to change your customers' view of the profession.

I also saw a comment to the effect that you don't need more product info, you need sales training. I agree with that to an extent, but most of the sales/employee management training I've participated in revolves around manipulation and borderline deception. Knowing your product/service, believing in it and yourself/business, and really putting the customer's needs first are the keys.

When I hear a car dealership advertise "a positive sales experience" that translates into "you won't know you're being screwed".

Sorry for the long intro, but what I really wanted to share was one of the most positive interactions I've ever had with a tradesperson - an arborist. The property we recently purchased had several trees that had been repeatedly topped and otherwise improperly trimmed. They didn't look healthy and we wanted to extend their life as long as practical. An ancient apple tree (trunk filled with concrete) was half dead and probably needed removed.

In my area, lots of guys buy a chain saw (and perhaps an ex-utility bucket truck) and go into the "tree service" business. The HVAC equivalent would be billy-jo-jim-bob with a couple of laddars bungie-corded to his station wagon and perhaps a magnetic sign on the door.

My local ag extension agent was not allowed to recommend tradespeople, but suggested I check out the International society of arborculture. I did so and found two certified arborists in my area. The first showed up late for the appointment, hadn't done any continuing ed courses in 10 years, scribbled a quote on the back of his business card.

The other returned my call the same evening, showed up when he said he would. Brought brochures from the ISA about the problems with tree-topping (showing he'd listened to what I said on the phone) and another on general tree pruning.

This man was _passionate_ about arborculture. You could tell he was upset at how the trees had improperly cared for. He was excited that I wanted to try and save them and not just cut them down.

He spent a half hour talking about tree pruning in great detail - how to climb without damaging, what limbs to cut, where to cut, how much of the tree could safely be removed. All very positive, no complaining about difficult access to one of the trees. No worry that he was revealing "trade secrets" that might cause me to do the work myself and cost him the job.

He prepared a neat (even though handwritten) quote on a form designed for that purpose. Suggested that I might want to take down the apple tree myself since it was small and surrounded by open space, and have him grind the stump.
    He also priced it two ways - all the work at once or split into two phases/visits.

He showed up to do the work when he said he would. Did a professional job pruning, ground the stump to the agreed upon 12in below grade, cleaned up all the debris. I gave him a check before the job was done since I had to leave.

I'll be having him back in the spring for phase 2 and have recommended him to several friends.

Don't know if there are any parallels that can be drawn between this experience and how you approach your customers but perhaps.

Mark

PS - the first guy's quote was lower :-)
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Kudos to you my friend

You are the poster boy for the type of customer we look for everyday. Someone who looks past the "smoke and mirrors" to get what is "best". Now comes the hard part. We "need" you to tell your story to anyone that needs an arborist (and even those that don't) so that he will continue to benefit from the great job he did for you. It's this kind of advertising that keeps "professionals" like him in business to be there for you when you need them again. If I ever need an arborist, I hope I can find one as good as yours.

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't

think it matters what trade you are in, a professional is a professional! sounds like you found one!

Chris
  • John T_2
    John T_2 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    A few thoughts,

Did the contractor ask for or was he given a letter of recommendation ? If he didn't ask for one would you have provided one if he had (sounds like you would have)? Did you consider sending him one ?

I've always felt a little awkward asking for a letter from a satisfied customer. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do, so I tend not to ask. I do have a number of letters from customers that took it upon themselves to send one. It would be nice if it happened more often they are always welcomed.

John T.
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    comparisons

Mark,

This is my opinion. Most people take their doctor at his word. It doens't matter what he says, people don't question him. However, when it comes to the trades, many people question their plumber, heating professional, electrician, etc.

I grew up in a family surrounded by medical professionals, and came to realize very quickly, that as a society,we have placed doctors on a pedistal. They are humans, fully 1/2 of them graduated in the bottom of their class, its a fact. And out there somewhere is the worst doctor, that is also a fact. I may not be as smart overall as every doctor out there, but I know I have it hands down on many. If I feel this way, why didnt I go after a job in the medical profession. Simple, acadimic disipline (or lack of it). Again, my opinion, doctors are tradesman, they just went to a different trade school.

I also feel that the "trades" overall need to show a more professional attitude towards their customers, and towards themselfs.

Chuck Shaw
    Old Yankee Plumbing and Heating
    W. Wareham, MA

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    thanks for the reminder

No, I wouldn't mind at all if he asked for a letter. But like you I'd probably feel uncomfortable being on the other end and having to ask for one.

I know I appriciate feedback in my job. Thanks for reminding me that I should take the time to write a thank-you letter in situations like this.

Mark
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Good perspective Chuck

Your right about the proffesionallism.

Many times we meet the enemy and he is us !!!

Scott

This discussion has been closed.