Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Calling Mark Eatherton

Options
Mark, looking for some input,I think you were giving a talk about this last month and it was free but to far for me to drive from Boston.I'm thinking about using my house to try it out before I unleash it on others. What I have is a seven zone system.I'm using an Taco Zone Control with priority for in-direct hwh. Not using outdoor reset now but have an Argo and Heattimer controls kicking around to use,any insight you can give me would be great Thanks John@Reliable

Comments

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    John

Thinking outloud here........but seven zones you say.Enlighten me with the Argo and Heattimer controls.Are your 7 zones all circs?

I would think a good approach would be to zone your main living area as your constant zone and slave the other zones off the main constant circ zone.Resetting your temps would be the best for longer run and better comfort and efficiencies.What are your emitters?
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Mike,

Just two pumps, one for house and one for in-direct. Using Honeywell zone valves for all other zones. Both resets I have like just about everything else are from past jobs,too good to throw away but only good for my use?
  • Mike Kraft
    Options
    So

the controls you have are reset controls?So if you set up a primary/secondary with reset.Use your main living as your constant circ zone.Your ZV's can remain as on/off with a differential bypass valve.Put a RTU in the main living area.

Curious to see more suggestions.

cheese
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Continuous circ...

requires a completely different mindset from what us Amereican hydronic heating contractors have been taught. Although tekmar controls has come close to adapting the continuous circ idea towards the Americanized system, it falls short of actually being there.

In order for continuous circ to work completely correctly, there will be no conventional zone valves on any circuits, and there will be a pressure assisted bypass at the pump to keep from dead heading the pump.

Continuous circ typically requires the use of non electric thermostatic radiator valves (TRV's) at the point of use.

One of the key features of TRV's is that their operation is proportional to demand. If they need just a little heat, then they flow just a little flow. If they need a LOT of heat, then they flow a LOT of flow. Substantially different from the BANG, BANG, BOOM American way of control logic.

In order for this to work correclty, you are going to have to compeletely rethink you current method of control.

DHW can be done with a prioritized pump for DHW.

Whenever the OSA is below a predetermined temperature (typically 60 degrees F), the main circulators is enabled, and the boiler is fired to a predetermined supply temperature based on the current outside temperature.

From high upon the Rocky Mountains...

Go Broncos!!

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Options
    agreed

with the professor,but for the sake of using what you own John the ZV's on the other zones will perform.You wont get the grace of a TRV but you will benefit.

cheese
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But....

you also won't get the benefits of a continuous circ system.

IMHO, it has to be one, or the other. Mixes don't work well. They will work, but not well.

JOMO.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    2 fers are for free (NM) Sorry!!

nm
This discussion has been closed.