Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Young Convectors

Options
Mike R._2
Mike R._2 Member Posts: 16
Last week there was a question about replacements for Young Convectors – I would also like to know if there is anything available because I have them in my house. I contacted 2 supply houses, searched the internet and asked on the Wall, but couldn’t find them anywhere. The problem I have is that the copper tubes get small cracks near the headers. One of them is cracked on the top and just leaks a little steam. The other one cracked on the bottom and drips condensate. When I moved into the house, the rug was wet and the floor was starting to rot underneath. The wood even had mushrooms growing on it and I don’t think the previous owner knew anything about the leak.
One room in the house was finished after all of the others and has an American Standard unit instead of the Young convectors. I think this is a hot water convector because it has very small tubes, but was made to be used as a replacement for steam also. Note the large supply tapping and the built in taps for the external drain pipe in the picture. These seem to be unavailable also.
Rather than use a pot to catch the water or get a whole new heating system, this unit inspired to do some experiments with hot water convectors that are readily available in any length and inexpensive too. Start with a reducer tee that’s 3/4 x your supply pipe diameter and add a small drain tube as shown in the mod picture. It works without spitting the vent. It does not put out as much heat as the original Young but the room only feels slightly cooler than the others. Unfortunately you can’t use a longer unit to make up for the heat loss because you have to fit inside of the wall recess.
Things I learned – using these units with no drain pipe results in Old Faithful. The drain pipe diameter has to be equal or smaller than the tube diameter. The first test was with 1/2 pipe for the drain and the drain got hot and the fin tubes stayed cold.
The combination of steel, brass and copper fittings is not ideal but it works for now
This discussion has been closed.