Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

testing this old boiler

Options
jim_14
jim_14 Member Posts: 271
started a new thread for this same old boiler. Is draining from the LWCO and from the lowest point on the rear of the boiler where a circulator pump is for the hot water add on, considered good enough care/maintenance for this thing? I drain enough water at the start of the heating system until it runs clear and about once a month from the LWCO. It doesnt take long at all for it to run clear.

Other than that, is there any other way to tell the integrity of this unit?

Any service contract I ever had ,that gave me a yearly checkup and "cleaning" ,in my opinion didnt do much for the actual boiler itself. Basically, it was checked for gas leaks or excessive CO, the flue, etc. But nothing was done for the actual boiler itself. I mean, can you clean it? I know there is something you can put in there, but noone from any service co ever did, or ever mentioned. Maybe it takes too long or they just didnt bother/didnt know.

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    old boiler

if your serious about opinnions about your boiler the guys have given you great advice replace your boiler as for flushing the system only do it threw the lwco not the boiler drain thats at the lowest part of the system i dont know where you live but here in the boston ma area the techs for the gas co dont need to know much beyond lighting pilots
  • tim from Reed Wright
    Options
    flushing

Annually, remove base plugs and flush out base of boiler, dismantle low water cut off and clean and scrape scale etc. remove pigtails that go into pressure controls and clean them out and taps in boiler for same. Maybe remove relief valve and clean nipple and tap in boiler. Put some boiler treatment in boiler per manufacturer of treatment recommendation. Re-assemble and test all safety controls for proper operation. This all should be done by a qualified boiler mechanic. PS hydrotest is one of the best ways to see if boiler is sound other that ultrasound.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    The thing is.......

it is not about "draining water". It is about keeping the LWCO free of mud so the float can drop and stop the burner if a low water condition should occur. The more fresh water you add the more minerals and oxygen which can lead to corrosion. Flush the water from the LWCO to ensure that it stops the burner. Your boiler may last forever or it might crap out on the coldest day of the year. It is hard to say . In a country where people replace $30,000. automobiles every four years I can't understand the reluctance to replace a boiler that cost 1/10 of the car and will last 5=6 times as long.
  • jim_14
    jim_14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

Having read Dan's books and reading all these horror stories, its more of how do I know I am getting the right boiler installed and piping done right. I guess its the old adage, "If it aint broke dont try to fix it".

BTW, my last new car is now 10 years old!
  • antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Installer

You can almost gaurantee your worries by hiring the right contractor. If you read the post's here I'm sure you can see that most of these guys are profesionals and do things properly. You are correct, a new boiler installed improperly will not do you any good, especially steam, But a knowledgable contractor, proper boiler sizing based on your steam radiation, correct near boiler piping, CLEANING of new boiler, and also properly working vents, will almost definately give you some savings back and give you piece of mind before it craps out.
    Check the link to "Find a Contractor" up top.

Good luck.......Ant

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.