Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard supplement?

Options
I want to do new construction, slab on grade, hydronic heating in the slab, but I have three areas of my plan with lots of adjacent glass: a 10x12 breakfast room with windows or glass doors on most of three sides, a nook bumpout adjacent the living room with similar glass, and a corner area of the LR with large windows coming tight into the corner. I am thinking that hydronic baseboard units will back up the floor heat, coming on in times of extreme cold. We can see plunges occasionally to 40 or 50 below here in New York's Adirondack mountains. Should we be thinking of thermostats near each on of these areas that will let the baseboards kick in when needed? Loops separated from the in-floor loops, running hotter, and making use of mixing valves? How can I get some design assistance so as to see my options, BEFORE I engage heating contractors in this project for bids. I want to be as informed as possible.

Comments

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Supplemental

Gene,
    The beauty of hydronic is that once you own it options bound through the doors!Yes you can use hot water baseboard(HWBB) for a supplement.That is of course if it will be needed at all.This will be determined by a heat loss for your home.

Control can be that the HWBB runs at the same temp as your radiant floor or at a lower design temerature.It can then run in parallel with the floors.Or as you thought a two stage sensor or thermostat can be used and on days that the floors cannot provide the BTU's you need it will allow circulation through the HWBB.

Of course you can also install radiant walls,radiant ceilings or use panel radiators.All these options will need to be looked at too see what your design and budget will need or allow.

cheese
This discussion has been closed.