Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is that automatic feeder necessary?

Options
Paul_4
Paul_4 Member Posts: 7
I have a steam boiler installation with a boiler feed pump from a condensate storage tank. The storage tank has a city water supply to it with a automatic feeder to maintain a set water level. On the boiler, I have a pump controller/low-water cutoff and a separate low water cutoff. Since the storage tank feeds the boiler through a dedicated boiler-feed pump, I don't see the need for an automatic feeder on the boiler itself. If the boiler feed pump breaks, I want the boiler to trip off on low water instead of having the automatic feeder "cover" for the pump. In addition, having the domestic supply go into the storage tank allows me to meter the amount of water added to the system. Am I seeing this correctly?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Yes

You definately are seeing this correctly.

Noel
  • Joe at krahezfoo@aol.com
    Options
    To Paul from Joe- water feed valve.

Don't know what part of the country your are located in; but I suggest that you consult the boiler codes that govern your area concerning the additional makeup water valve. I agree that this masks a water loss problem in the system but cover yourself and see what the governing code requires. You do not mention the HP of the boiler, different rules apply to different size heating systems in our state. Guess when little boilers blow they make little holes, and when big boilers blow, they make craters.
This discussion has been closed.