Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Score for Weil McLain at ISH

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
the coffee cups at all the concession stands with Weil's name on them! I spotted these cups at every booth in the place including the competitors. Clever marketing.

Weil's history making, first ever, non cast iron boiler. The aluminum HX makes me nervous. I liked the cut away of the W shaped HX. Plenty of heat transfer surface in that design. Very un- cluttered under the hood, nice! No air pressure switch will be a big plus especially for the high altitude guys. PVC venting with a pro seal starting connection was a nice touch.

Great looking case, floor or wall mounting, I like the leveling feet, electronics with room to grow. Entire project in 12 months time! It will be interesting to see how this "Euro components" boiler works out. Interesting the got ASME so quickly :)

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Press conference

W/M held a press conference to introduce their new cast aluminum boiler. Although I have to admit to being confused by the technical features, the presentation was good. I especially enjoyed the mushrooms for breakfast. Nice touch.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    aluminum HX?

HR:I missed the presentation.Only hint I saw was a plastic rendition above their booth. No lit. no cut away-very disappointing. Is it similar to Dunkirks Quantum Leap which has been out for years? That uses a cast aluminum HX. I heard it was from Holland. When will the lit. be out? Any info?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,537
    Options
    Wondering

if they had any comments about the new aluminum casting and antifreeze.
    Retired and loving it.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    The Prez

of W/M said the Ultra is due to shipped in mid-December. There should be info at their website. If not, let me know.
  • hr
    Options
    Glycol and aluminum

They are aware of the issue mixing anti freezes with aluminum. They have a product in mind. It may be a Fernox product from England. Heatway used to sell this brand of inhibitors. Actually automotive anti freeezes are blended for aluminum protection, possibly these could be adjusted to work with the silicates removed. Some of the automotive antifreezes have switched to propylene based products.

Even with plain water the aluminum would be sensitive to PH imbalances.

Makes for a nice light weight boiler however!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    Options
    Hey, Troy

I can't recall the Dunkirk cut away. I believe Weil gets the block from Holland. A Euro Honeywell gas valve similar to others you have seen. Inducer looks somewhat familar also. Looks like the case and 0011 may be the only US components.

Seems many of the new high efficiency boilers are built with European components. Personally I don't have a problem with that as long as all the bugs have been left on that side of the pond :) I'm pleased to see more manufactures looking at higher efficiency products.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Won't be long......

till we're exporting instead of importing :-)

• Floyd_2
    Floyd_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    The website....

> of W/M said the Ultra is due to shipped in

> mid-December. There should be info at their

> website. If not, let me know.

• Floyd_2
    Floyd_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    The website....

still has it under a veil!!!

Wish they would get their act together and let us see it there at least!!!
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Hr

I'm with you! How could you be in this industry and not be excited about the advancements that we are seeing. It makes me down right giddy!
  • Maggie Reed
    Maggie Reed Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Quantum Series

Just as a note of clarification, the Dunkirk Quantum Series began its market introduction with the Quantum Leap boiler (95% AFUE) in 1996. The Quantum 90 (90% AFUE) was introduced in 1999. Both products utilize the same primary heat exchanger, which is cast aluminum and was developed by Dunkirk and is manufactured in the United States.

For more information, visit www.Dunkirk.com

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.