Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TRV Valve

Options
Jeff_5
Jeff_5 Member Posts: 2
I am adding an old hot water radiator in one room(Which has no heat now)to one of my zones which is currently using baseboards in the heated areas. I'm concerned about regulating the temp of the radiator and understand their is a TRV valve which can regulate the flow.My internet search found lots of companys in England but no one in the good ol USA to sell me one. Does anyone know where I can direct order ? I'm also looking for the tool which will remove the nipple from the radiator. Any thoughts on what I may be doing to my system are welcomed!

Comments

• huck
    huck Member Posts: 1
    Options
    TRV valves

Try Danfoss and Macom for TRV valves which replace the vent rather than the radiator valve. Try Honeywell and Bell & Gossett for TRV radiator valves.

I have not used any yet but have ordered two sets of Danfoss TRV vent valves for trial in 80-year old apartment bldg. with one-pipe system. Danfoss has a tamper-proof version (which I ordered) because as you probably know, tenants and others cannot resist the impulse to "adjust" a steam heat system.

Macom is at www.gspn.com/macon/opsk-b.html.

Direct order Danfoss valves are at vlad@market.boulder.co.us (he has a website but could not find it at the moment; he will answer your email promptly).

Huck in Hampton Roads
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    TRVs and spud removal

Danfoss, Honeywell, Myson, Oventrop all make TRVs

Pasco makes individual single-size spud keys. Check with local plumbing supply places to see who handles Pasco.

There are also stepped "universal" tools. Stay away from the cast ones. Machined ones should be OK if you have enough room (only a problem usually on installed rads).

Mark
  • Gary Usa
    Gary Usa Member Posts: 40
    Options
    trv

I am formally from england and hope that I may of some assitance to your good self,is the radiator cast iron or steel,if you are unable to find a tool or remove the nipple easily this is how i have removed them in the past,get a small hacksaw cut the nut in two places springing it apart,then heating the fitting up using a pipe wrench and slowly undoing it.however if the nipple is brass have to be extremly careful not to flatten it,with a bit of care can remove the nipple quite easily.

with relation to installing a trv is the radiator part of a loop ,is it a one pipe loop if so you wuld have to fit a bye pass in as when the trv closes it would in turn close the rest of the loop,honeywell i personally found to be very good,where abouts in the usa are yo my friend,if you let me know i will try and locate a supplier for you.

if you are to install a trv please make sure you won;t have a curtain near it or inside a cover otherwise you would need a remote trv where the sensor head is located away from the radiator and just a sensor is installed into the radiator.on occassions i have installed with in the pipework a motorized valve and a room stat but only if it has been able to turn that zone off on it's own and not the rest of the loop off.

hope that this gives you room for thought if i can help you at all with anything please feel free to give me a shout.

all the best

gary usa
  • heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    HD has spud wrenches

I know, HD is a bad word in this 'hood, but I was delighted to find just the right stepped spud wrench right next to an assortment of (manual) radiator valves and radiator bleeder keys. Yes, it's cast (not machined), but it did the job.
This discussion has been closed.