Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quik Trak Job - DF

Options
John Barba1
John Barba1 Member Posts: 67
Heatermon--

Please give me a call at the office on Monday if I can help you out in anyway. Dan--sorry I'll miss you in Toronto next week---take my Red Green ticket!

JMB

Comments

• Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Quik Trak

This is a fairly large (for us) Quik Trak job in Washington, DC. The main house was built in the 1920's and has radiator heat. A previous contractor ripped out the radiators on the second and third floors and installed forced air. He told the homeowners it was more efficient!??? Go figure!

We are adding radiant floor heat in the slab of the addition and the basement build out. We are installing Quik Trak in the first floor of the addition along the back of the house and in the first floor of the wing addition. It goes real fast if you have Jeff "Riles" Riley of Thos. Somerville Co. helping you out. Thanks JR! -DF
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    A couple of questions for you - if you don't mind

We have been looking into using Quicktrak, but can't get these questions answered.

1. How do you router "lanes" close together for supply and return tails to manifold?

2. How do you "couple" pieces? (If there is a mistake or you want to run long "tails" overhead without fighting long pieces.)

3. How can you go to a larger pipe size outside the track to lessen the friction losses on your tails.

4. How do you fill in the spaces that the quick trac doesn't cover? (Both wooden and grooved)

We have talked to our Wirsbo rep, but they are not very knowledgeable in radiant heating (We are in So. Cal) they just sell Wirsbo as a plumbing alternative. We would like to start using Wirsbo (We are now exclusively using Rehau) due to their commitment to challenge California's exclusion of pex plumbing products in the State code and their supposed suport of their dealers. (I say supposed because we can't get much help in our area, but I do hear great stories from people in other areas of the country).

Thanks for your time,

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Quik Trak

In order:

1. I try to plan out my loops in advance to avoid custom routering if possible. On this project, we were able get all of our loops to and from the manifolds using Quik Trak. On other projects I have dipped below the floor to feed loops that were difficult to access. Routering is my last option.

2. If the pipes are damaged and the loop is still accessible, I would pull out the entire loop and replace it. If it is not accessible, dip below the floor and install a mechanical coupling(s).

3. I have never had to do this. If you keep your loops reasonably short, it would be unnecessary to couple to a larger diameter pipe. I try to keep my loops 200' or shorter. I believe Wirsbo says you can go up to 250'.

4. I have the GC fill in any gaps in the Quik Trak or spaces under counters or cabinets with 1/2" CDX plywood. The very slight difference (maybe 1/16") in thickness is unnoticeable. Quik Trak is too expensive to use as filler.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions call (703) 751-3288 or e-mail. Better yet, contact the experts: John Barba at Wirsbo or my local Rep, Jeff Riley at Thos. Somerville Co. (703) 802-4900 Good Luck! -DF

• John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Heatermon

Climate panel/quick track is like a giant puzzle.Once you get used to useing it you will find it very easy to work with.

We rip down sections of the panel to get tighter spacing. Never tried routering.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hardwood guy is KEY!

Dan:

The real strength is that you have a hardwood guy that has worked with Quik Trak and understands that at times you have to run tubing parallel to his hardwood. He deals with it accordingly (face nailing or glue).

With cooperation you can accomplish many things. You are to be commended for the job you always do communicating to the homeowner, general contractor, and any relevant subs.

This hardwood guy's attitude certainly beats the guy that insists, "the warranty will be void on the floor if it is over radiant." What a joke, even though in July with the curtain open and direct sunlight the hardwood's surface temperature well exceeds the 80 degree limit we design the radiant system to adhere to.

Your QUIK TRAK jobs are fast because you have some of the HARDEST working guys in the industry. They just want to work, work, work. They are pissed if there is any delay. They are a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for the kind words.
This discussion has been closed.