Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Code Requirements:Kennels & Shelters

Options
Jed_2
Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
I am searching for (if it exists) any Code requirement or guideline for installation, control, and temps for concrete slabs in dog kennels, shelters, etc. I am told slab temp averaging is required. Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA
Jed

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    for quick

A good vet may know. dogs do not need much, in fact less than humans do to feel correct. It has been discussed here before, but that was a long time ago. Hang in someone here (most) know more than I. The Humane Sociaty may have some info. bigugh
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    it was posted here ....

awhile back that you must leave so much area without heat so the doggies may have a place to lay down to expell heat!! some one will be along with better answers!!
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    were

doing a dog kennel next week.I haven't heard of anything code wise about doing them,but than again their isn't much of a code concerning radiant floor heat.

I did a dog kennel 12 years ago.My very first radiant job.It works great and the dogs seem to like it.The only thing we discovered was the dogs needed a place to get off the floor at times.They put wooden pallet like things in the kennels with the dogs bedding on them.Some dogs slept off the floor while others prefered to sleep on the floor.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options

I am told there needs to be averaging slab sensors, and there is a maximum allowable surface temp. 150 setpoint control will do the job, but I believe the installing contractor wants to use constant temp mixing. Doesn't sound right to me. The dog pens have doggy doors to outside slab pens(not heated). Also, Air temp sensing.

TIA, Jed
  • Dave Springer
    Dave Springer Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Heating Dog Kennels

I have used perimeter heat and heat in the main walk ways. Goal to provide a temperature difference in the floor because some dogs like it cooler. Here is a great article which also gives you some great extras to offer with the system for more $$$.

http://www.purina.com/breeders/magazine.asp?article=269
  • HBW
    HBW Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Codes & Standards

Jed,

Although I personally have never been involved in designing and/or installing such a system, the following references will provide you with a good starting point as well as other references. Also to consider are fresh air ventilation rates, sanitray conditions and infectious disease control. Of course the project budget will probably dictate the final system choice, but be aware of your liability regarding these issues.

1999 ASHRAE HANDBOOK HVAC APPLICATIONS Chapter 21 ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL FOR ANIMALS AND PLANTS.

http://ashrae.org/

Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.