Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello Oil Burners

Options
Riles
Riles Member Posts: 84
I appreciate the feedback.

Comments

• Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Riello Oil Burners, comments?

I am in an area where Beckett is the dominant oil burner. I have no problem with Beckett, they have been reliable and the leader in our area "Mid-Atlantic" on residential oil boilers.

I am continuing to hear great things about Riello. I'd appreciate any feedback on Riello. Pros & Cons? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Riello burners,

Pro's..Extremely reliable . Once setup properly they are no doubt the most consistant running burner I've ever used .When I started learning about them (a long time ago!) I talked the boss at the time about buying a repair kit . The kit consists of everything but the chassis, and a burner tube .In the 14 years after purchasing the kit (with around 100 or so accounts w/ Riello burners)I used a couple cad cell eyes , a control/transformer and 1 motor that went down after a flood.The motor was easily field repairable . I bought a set of roller bearings at the local NAPA store , and still had a backup .I also used a few of the metric to American pump lead fittings . Not bad.
    Cons... In my opinion, they are a little loud in the chimney when used that way .The BF (balanced flue) burners are among the quietest I've ever heard. One other con is troubleshooting . They break so infrequently that it's very easy to forget how to do it in the way they teach . My suggestion is to go to Firedragon Enterprises , and buy "The Riello Handbook" and keep it in your truck . My copy is the last edition and covers all burners up to the present 40-F series and back to the first sent to the U.S..I can't remember the model, but it is about 22 years old and still running . Bottom line ... I like them , most techs who install them like them and overall I don't think the few bucks more they cost is wasted money .I put 1 in my parents home and with the recommended double filters , I go to service it every 2 years and haven't had to get a vacuum out in the 6 years it has been in .Go for it ! you'll like them too . Chris
  • Tom_7
    Tom_7 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Riello , The best thing that happened in oil....

Hello, I am saying that Riello is the best thing that ever happened in the oil burner business. Back in the 80's Beckett was a great replacement for the kind on burners that were out there. Then came Riello, at first us servicemen looked at Riello as look at this orange box, prepurge, shutters, high pump pressure,ect. who needs this.Hey if you can't put a screw driver across the iginition trans former who needs it. But time told the truth, clean boilers hardly any break downs how can you beat that. At first parts were a problem, but now its not. Riello runs as clean as gas. Becketts I throw them away.
  • I agree with Chris and Tom

We have been using Riello exclusively for a long time , and they do burn cleaner than other burners we used to install , over a long time . But one thing you should check out - although they dont break down often , make sure that you can get parts for it easy . Ive heard of one serviceman who had to wait a long time for parts and they were real expensive because noone carried them where he was .

Beckett is finally catching up with the pre and post purge and oil delay valve as standard equipment . Im not sure how theyre running over a period of time though . We are supposed to be using the AFG with the big cover over them in some Burnham boilers . By the way - can the canopy that goes around the Beckett be bought without buying a package V8 ? Who makes the canopy , Burnham or Beckett ?
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Case and Point SE

Had a 15 year old Thermopride oil fired furnace with an AFG Becket that we serviced yearly and kept in good shape. A couple years ago the chimney developed a problem that led to overheating the furnce and meltdown of the AFG. We replaced the Beckett with an F-5 Riello. Prior to this about the best combustion eff. we could obtain with the Beckett was 78-79% before smoke happened. With the Riello, stack temp dropped 60-80*, comb. eff. went to 83-83.5% CO2 went from 9.6% to 10.9% without a trace of smoke. This is with no other changes in the furnace or the system.

We use them on everything possible. Have had 1 control box go bad. (I suspect water problems but the HO says it was never wet) We would recommend Riello highly.
  • Bill @ Boro
    Bill @ Boro Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Riello Riello Riello

The only people that complain about Riello burners are not willing to learn about them. The only time I use a Beckett or Carlin is on buried tanks here. For some reason our rotten buried tanks in Brooklyn seem to be too much for the Riello pump to handle. Go for Riello.
  • Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    burners

When I first started servicing oil burners, I was about 18,
    our oil guy had just quit, my dad threw me a nozzle box and some filters and said go at it. When I ran across my first f-40 I was dumbfounded,what the hell do I do with this thing? After Riello training, 15 years,& a fair amount of callbacks, Riello is my burner of choice, of which I have 2 in my own home, once someone truly understands them they generally become converts too. JMHO---AL
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    I LOVE EM

For all the reasons you heard above, but only if you read the instructions and set them up properly. I have also seen improvements in combustion efficiency compared to American burners. I replaced the Blue Angel burner in a '88 Vaillant (the one with the bunny for a trademark) and I saw a 4percent increase in efficiency. I would rather buy an American brand, but they don't come close yet....

Cas
This discussion has been closed.