Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What radiant research would you like to see/feel/hear?

Options
RB_2
RB_2 Member Posts: 272
So here's your chance to voice an opinion on research...Richard Watson, Dr. Chapman and I are preparing for a seminar/forum to discuss research for the RPA Conference next year.

So what's your opinion...what would you like to see/feel/hear from research dollars?

How fast?

How accurate?

How complex?

How much?

Where/who/what/when and WHY?

There is money available from numerous North American associations and co-sponsored research travels faster through the bureaucratic mine fields.

Tell us your thoughts.

RB

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I'd like

to see the transfer plate, suspended tube, staple up subject researched further. The results in contractor/ radiant buyer lingo please :)

Acceptable temperature for plywood, OSB, dimensional lumber, etc to be subjected to for extended periods?

Would an answer for world peace be too much to ask :)

Thanks for grabbing the bull or BS by the horns Robert. That is what you are offering isn't it?

See you next week in TO.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Vernon P. James
    Vernon P. James Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Research

Would love to see actual number comparison of fuel savings of radiant versus fin tube, panel radiators, and etc. Some closer figures would be nice rather than the somewhere between 10-30 % and all houses are different stories.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    packaged controls...

...controls that do radiant heating ,cooling & changeover ....the standard products (tekmar & similar) only do heating.
  • RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Bull...horns...where's the peace?

The objective(s) as I see it is to take the piles of academic research and turn "The results" into contractor/ radiant buyer lingo" then brainstorm over what else is needed, prioritize the list and find someway to do objective based research work in less than two years...

It is said if you want a quick decision...do it yourself...if you want good decisions involves as many as possible...see all of you at REX 2003.

...and we'll see you HR at ISH!

RB
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Plus Insulation

practices used. A comparison of the various insulation options. In particular, this "Reflective" push of late. Of course the "Reflective" craze is a challenge within itself as there seems to be wide ranges in claims pretaining to R-values for these "Reflective" products.

As an example; in a slab installation how do the (many various) Reflective products perform with a comparison to High Density Polystyrene (various thicknesses 1/2" thru 2").
    With the importance placed on these R-valves or more importantly the slab's radiant performance while in specific applications.

I second Hot Rod's thoughts; PLEASE look extensively at the Plate, Clip, Staple-up Joist Heating debate. To include within each of these Joist Heating installation methods, what is the impact of the various installations. For instance the thin-aluminum plates versus the thicker plates. Or with Pex Clip Joist Heating; with 16" o.c. Clips at 8" apart attached to the sub floor versus clip attached to the joists. There are many suggested installation methods depending on the manufacturer.

Plus Hot Rod's; impact on subflooring material is needed as well.

The biggest challenge is going to be performing this research without any manufacturer bias. I am encouraged to know you are taking a lead on this endeavor.

Thanks Robert. Enjoy ISH, Halloween Night and Weekend brings to many activities for a father of five kids. Forced to pass.

Man, I just woke up with a craving for some cereal, gotta go back to sleep. Maybe this is all just a dream.

• Ben Greenfield
    Ben Greenfield Member Posts: 25
    Options
    flow rate calculations

I would like to see more info on tuning a radiant system including the balancing act of determining optimal flow rate.
This discussion has been closed.