Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dumb question ?

Options
mp1969
mp1969 Member Posts: 226
???????
This is a new one for me and I need some input. A general contractor I work with leased an old vacant plant where our famous Briggs & Stratton motors used to be made.
He wants to put a Reznor gas fired unit in to heat just a small portion of this cavernous plant.We found a very large (3") line that was used as fuel transfer before so we decided to use it as a cost effective way to pipe gas to this small space.
The problem is we cut open this line to reroute and down size it and found a small amount of oil type residue in one end of this line. This could be thread cutting oil residue or # 2 fuel oil , we are a little concerned about this presence and wonder if it will affect the natural gas quality????????
We put in plenty of drip legs and will monitor the quantity but still wonder about fuel components picked up from this trapped oil when the gas flows.
Very open for comments !

Thanks MP 1969

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=250&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Not Dumb, but interesting

I too, have seen this. I'd bet it is a collection of oil from many different sources. I doubt that it would have any effect upon the Natural Gas therein contained. Mind that I am just an old plumber. I would do as your thinking. Drip legs especilly near gas control valves. You may consult with the Gas co. and ask about the nessescity of a filter and what brand (kind) to use. Anyway bigugh
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Could you

try purging the line with nitrogen? Or maybe just a good high pressure evacuation?

I don't think that the oil will have any effect on the gas, but maybe blowing the line out would be a good idea.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    How about

Using the 3" line as a sleeve and running a CST to the reznor?
    Just a thought..

:-) KCA
    :-) Ken
  • Mark Hunt is correct

purge the line with nitrogen. Get about a lb or so pressure in the line then blow it out.
This discussion has been closed.