Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

We are selling here!

Options
Cosmo
Cosmo Member Posts: 159
With John, Bighuh, and eleft. Yes I realize that there may be potential customers reading my posts, and I have a habit of telling some people to hire a proffesional when I think there are in over their head. It is because every night before I fall asleep I always think what I may have done, or missed that day that might harm my customers. I feel almost like all the systems I have put my hands on, wether they are plumbing heating or air conditioning...these are my responsibility. If something goes wrong and someone God forbid dies and I know there was something I should have done it would kill me also. I used to hear my dad tell me about it when I was young but did'nt understand until I got older and I had seen and read of things that can happen.

It is because of the very serious nature of our trade that when we get home and talk to our buddies we want to liven things up. Hopefully our homeowners can understand this. The wall to me is not just about learning about heating, it is also a look into the lives and thoughts of other tradesmen that go through the same things I do. Also I have a chance to learn from people who I aspire to be like one day.

To me the fact that I can sell myself is an added benefit....

Casmos Valavanis

Comments

• mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    We are selling here !

Fellow wetheads,
    I am fairly new to this forum but I feel that I have truly become part of a great forum with some of the best wet heat minds in the country. However, we all must remember that this is a public forum that doesnot always have knowledgable participants and therfore we do a dis-service to them if we give them less than 100% of an answer (user friendly).
    This site I promote to my customers as a great resource and use it as a selling tool. Honest and cordial responses may convert scorched air enthusiasts to the many benefits of wet heat.
    As our mentors tell us we are all salesman due to the ever present scrutiny of everything we service and sales people do.
    My point is to treat the wet heating impaired like we would any other customer because this forum is used for sales also!
    I am a plumbing and heating professional and have been the recipient of and have read responses that are quite frankly rude and I'm sure a turnoff to some who are interested in some aspect of what we offer.
    A simple professional suggestion from a listed contractor.

MP 1969

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Two things,

1.Dan runs this (his) site very well. It is his and he does it a great justice of containing whatgoes on here. That said, you are correct. 2. But,& however, readers of this site (any site) do not always get the idea presented. Many times a lot that is expressed, is mis-read because of culture, education, excitement, & such. I suggest re-reading posts carefully to get the point. Even to the extream of going on to read other material elsewhere before going after something said. I feel that I get "put downs" constantly, although I can see that perhaps my thoughts were not understood clearly. So it goes both ways. Kind of like "measure twice, cut once". "Read twice, then keep post amicable". This is not posted to you but with you! anyway bigugh
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Many times....

A particular question or problem that is brought up will remind us or be something
    that we have dealt with in the past or maybe just very recently.....
    there are many frustration and problems associated with this buisiness that only
    those that are actually out on the front lines every day can identify with....
    unfortunately many of those frustrations and problems are brought along home and
    then transfer to what we say and comment on here.... sometimes in some not so nice ways!!!!
    Also it is very painful to see some people trying to do things when we can tell that they are way
    in over thier heads and are actually running the risk of causing severe damage to themselves and
    their property.
    How can you get those points across to them using this medium and not come off as being insensitive
    and nasty???

I for one have many times NOT commented about certain things that I have seen because I was
    conserned about the way that my comments would be interpeted!!! Does that help anyone????
    There seems to be a fine line here and if we go to the extreme of stifiling the conversation then who
    will be helped???
    Those who post must be willing to accept the critique that may follow!!!!!

Many who post here are very passionate about their chosen occupation and that is very GOOD!!!
    Howver it causes many things to come across in a questionable manner many times!!!
    Also understand that this forum is many times used as a place to VENT frustrations and problems
    that are a part of the EVERYDAY dealing with other peoples problems.

I sincerely hope that what I have said is taken well... however if you have any problems
    my e-mail is right here, as are most of the posting people and I am more than willing to
    respond to anything that anyone would want to say to me......good or bad!

Happy heating!!!

Floyd
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Well put, Floyd...may I add an \"H.O.'s\" comment...

I was following this site for months before I first posted, and I beleive most homeowners to be similar in their "fear" of jumping in. While I may be a wee bit more inclined than most (and nutty about this stuff as compared to the "average" HO), I have never regretted jumping in for answers, and have on rare occasions been able to help a bit (I hope) due to my water/wastewater experience.

As others will certainly agree, I also have made several friendships via this wonderful website...and have tons of admiration for Dan H and company. As was stated already, there is so much lnowledge here it boggles my feeble little brain, and 99% of the time the discussions are professionlly done.

Growing up in a huge family taught me many things...including the patience and understanding of many varied personalities and how to see the "big picture" at the end...when that other 1% of the discussion is there :-) Although there are times when the discussions get ugly, I always see good at the end.

To Floyd and all the other great contributors, please don't hold back from writing if you think that you are still helping - even if it's not perfectly written. The end result is what's important, and nearly all of you do it just fine.

Just my thoughts...Take Care, PJO
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    I like that Big UGH:)

You're kinda like the Yoda of the Wall........may the post be with you:)

cheese
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    dosen't any body

work anymore??

my after work thoughts!!

murph' (SOS)
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    I consider this site more like “going back to the office”

I consider this site more like “going back to the office” and talking to my peers.
    Share a few laughs, tell some stories and learn along the way. This is one thing my wife
    Now understands about me going on the wall. She has an office and people at work to share with. Most on the wall I think are like me this is our cyber office because we don’t have the time during the workday to sit back and B.S. or our office really is in a van or truck for 10 hours. This is a great resource for all but at the end of the day I don’t want to sell anymore I just want to hang out with the guys and gals back at the office! John@Reliable
  • eleft(retired)
    eleft(retired) Member Posts: 98
    Options
    John, 100% correct

time to dijest!
  • Gary Fereday
    Options
    I love this wall!

dijest di=two parts
    and
    Main Entry: jest
    Pronunciation: 'jest
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English geste idle tale, story in verse, from Old French, from Latin gesta deeds, from neuter plural of gestus, past participle of gerere to bear, wage
    Date: circa 1548
    1 : an utterance (as a jeer or quip) intended to be taken as mockery or humor
    2 a : PRANK b : a ludicrous circumstance or incident
    3 a : a frivolous mood or manner b : gaiety and merriment
    4 : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    synonym see FUN
    - jest verb
    This is funny! dijest! wow! digest is what was ment, and I hope you see the diversion in this! Thanks Eleft! for being able to place the friday joke on the wall. Nice touch.I really do intend this as a compliment. Thanks again! bigugh
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Why else?

Would you talk about"work" when you're not there. It's not a job it's an adlib???

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    See this what I mean

bigugh is like the guy Cliff from Cheers, you have to sit back and say "what the hell is he talking about" then you get it! Bigugh ,I really do intend this as a compliment!John@Reliable
  • Gary Fereday
    Options
    Did you mean?

Did you mean adlip! Think about it dijest>digest adlip>adlib I love playing with the language. We have need to laugh at ourselves when ever we can. Should keep us a little younger. And thanks John, as I wondered if I should have posted that comment! Todd, This is a compliment! Thanks for the brain storm,(water-on-the-brain-as they say)
    bigugh
This discussion has been closed.