Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smith Boilers

Options
Riles
Riles Member Posts: 84
a Burnham. We were looking at 4 section oil, Smith and Burnham both around 110 Net IBR and the Smith was about 50 pounds heavier.

Comments

• Riles
    Options
    Any Smith Boiler Installers?

I was looking at the line with interest.

Anyone installing Smith Boilers?

Can you share your opinion or experiences?

Thanks
  • Riles
    Options
    Any Smith Boiler Installers?

I was looking at the line with interest.

Anyone installing Smith Boilers?

Can you share your opinion or experiences?

Thanks
  • Riles
    Options
    Looking for

opinion so bad I posted twice, oops.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Smith boilers

I have put in a couple oil fired with Carlin EZ pro burners with good results. Still use mostly Burnham. Smith has made progess from the trouble units they had years ago. But I still like to be able to clean from top if need be,thiers is cast iron on top which my brush can't get thru.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    not

too popular in these parts..a real PIA to clean. In the 90's I never saw one ran with any draft over the fire. Blue jackets or red. They aged poorly. Not my first choice, obviously.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Got one in my house..

Has worked perfect for 5 yrs. but it is a simple standing pilot deal...
    Got it at a scratch and dent sale from the local wholesaler.....
    right after I got screwed by the Co. that I had been working for
    and was starting on my own. (ie. the price was right at the time)
    Worked on another one today... should have taken pics..... this thing was tucked
    in a little corner under the steps going upstairs, the first floor is radiant and the second floor HWBB
    Problem is.... the radiant is 3/4 PB with NO mixing and NO prim./sec. piping!!!!
    This thing sees 68* return water ALL the time and has no O2 barrier piping!!!
    Boiler is 10 years old and still cooking!!!!!
    I was there because the old relay board for the circ. pumps had heated and cooled so many
    times that a tracer cracked and it started to only work when it felt like it.
    The HO said that the builder installed the system when he built the house,
    he was really proud that he done such a great job and had one of the frist houses in the
    area with radiant heat!!!!!
    I still see that builder around sometimes... don't know if I'll have the heart to break the news to him,
    and he just does electrical work now away.
    I did inform the HO that he may have to replace that boiler sometime soon and tried to explain it to
    him.....

Anyway, all that to say that I was really impressed that the boiler has held up this long under
    some very deplorable conditions!!!!!

I also know that Smith has just recently come out with a high 80% boiler.... a fellow contractor
    in the area has installed one and likes it so far.

For the most part the seem to be a good solid basic middle to lower end priced boiler.... nothing
    fancy... not many bells and whistles... just a good solid hard worker!!

Btw, I believe that the sections are cast in the same foundry as the Peerless.
    Boyertown, Pa. and then shipped to Mass.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Floyd
  • Riles
    Options
    Cleaning looked easy

I kind of liked the side cleaning and the way the pins are tappered away slightly as you go down looks like it would be very easy to clean.

Not like the old Weil McLain where the brush got stuck and you had to cut the handle and leave it in.

Thanks.
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Smith installer

Hey Riles,
    I have been using the 8 series for the past three years.I am very impressed with these units.I have installed riello burner with these units and they run like a dream.The only problem with these units are that they are only rear flues and must be cleaned by the left side.Would recommended them highly not the same boiler as years ago.Have one in my basement for three years and have not touched it yet.
  • Riles
    Options
    Thanks

I keep hearing good things about Riello, I'm in a heavy Beckett territory. Often the response I get when asked why Beckett (which by the way has been a proven burner) is that, "my father's father put them in."

Hey Joe, it looks like it would be easy to clean with the tappered pins and the front vacuum port. I also like the fact that the door doesn't swing open creating oil line problems.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    That front door

Oil lines aren't a problem with the front door if the installer thinks of the service guy. That front door is easier than dropping the burner when you have a filthy neglected unit.

Leo
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Yes It is Riles

It is a nice idea with that clean out door.By the way these are some of the heaviest unit out their.I also install Weil and Peerless and very happy with all three but I have been blown away with H B Smiths customer service.Top notch.Try them I think you will be very happy that you did.
This discussion has been closed.