Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP! I have a heat pump

Options
Rob W.
Rob W. Member Posts: 2
Sorry to say, I live in a scorched air electric heat pump home. I just had a new heat pump installed with a 5" filter and UV light to help clean the air. I need a hummidifier to help keep my kids bloody noses to a minimum. However the lower temperatures put out by the heat pump requires a certain make or model. PLEASE ADVISE!!

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    humidifier

We've gotten away for heat pumps in the Chicago area but I have always used Aprilaire #600 humidifier connected to hot water. The auto track control monitors the outdoor temp for max capacity
  • Gary Jansen
    Gary Jansen Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Humidifier

Use an Aprilaire model 760 with Autostat and connect to your hot water line. Make sure humidifier is mounted on supply plenum.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    humidifier

I would say to go with a floor model,most the time a
    heatpump cycle is not long enough to allow the humidifider to do its job.But if you have to go that route the only
    one I have found that work some what ok with a heatpump,
    Is skuttle high capacity steam humidifier model 60.aahhh
    steam!
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    The hot air blues! and bloody noses.

I find that sometimes low tech is the best! Check out a Sears free standing floor model,very few moving parts and very low tech,very low maintainance and it always will work. Haven't found any other ones that will last for more than 3 or 4 years before failing.
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    What kind of ductwork do you have?

If you have ductboard (duct made from rigid fiberglas insulation with foil outside and coated inside) I would stay away from installing a humidifier. Every time I have seen one of these after a few years in operation the was water damage, possible mold. If you do install a humidifier I suggest using the "fan-on" option on your thermostat. This will provide continuous air movement, which will ensure long enough run times and reduce chance of mold by keeping the humidity moving out.

Better yet have a proffesional install a boiler with a air to water heat exchanger in the supply duct of your heat-pump. Now you can back up the heatpump with oil or gas fired hot water, save on your electric bill (because heatpumps are only enough for total heat demand down to about 35-40 degrees F outside ambient), all the hot water you want (with an indirect water heater), and in the future you can add towel warmers, or Radiant floor heat!!

You can't post on this wall without an add for the best heat there is.....WET!

Cas
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    Options

April Air I think has some of the best . What I like is the way water flows through the media no standing H2o size depends on house size allso one moving part

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • HBW
    HBW Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Humidifiers

Look at this link below. I have used this type on many high end homes, they are great!

http://www.carelusa.com/homesteamplan/Index.htm
This discussion has been closed.