Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Systems

Options
I currently have a Peerless Series 60 (early 80's era) Steam Boiler that is needing replacement. Are there any thoughts as to replacement brand ideas? Looking at Wiel-Mclain, Burnham, and Lochinvar. I like and know the first two but am unfamiliar with Loochinvar.

Are there any brands that maybe I should avoid?

Thanks.

Comments

• JohnNY1
    JohnNY1 Member Posts: 62
    Options

I like Burnham for steam a lot. Easy maintenance, decent customer service, convenient tappings, etc. I've developed a near intense dislike for Weil-McLain. It seems their marketing department has done all their talking for them in the form of free boots, jackets, trips, etc.
    Most plumbers LOVE W-M, only they can never really give a good reason why. They've just been putting them in their whole lives and don't know any better.
    ...and they've got a great new pair of boots.

That's my opinion. For whatever it's worth.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    my

sentiments excactly. Not pleased to hear HD will be offering WM. Thanks a whole bunch there United Dominion!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    boilers for steam...

I have done a few steam replacements not nearly as many as some of the guys here. I like the Smith, Burnham, and Peerless blocks in oil fired. (I assume its oil)
    I don't recommend Weil-Mclain in steam AT all.(they just dont last and the sections are too small for steam)I have heard some cleaning issues with Dunkirk/ Lennox.
    Lochinvar I believe is only a hot water boiler.
    What is wrong with the peerless you have now? Leaks? or are you just looking to upgrade.As with anything in the heat feild the INSTALLLER is the most important thing. Make sure that he/she knows their stuff in how to properly pipe a steam system.The best boiler WILL be a nightmare if piped wrong. kpc
  • boilers for steam...

Thanks to everyone for their insight.

Burnham has been growing on me more and more in recent weeks. I grew up on a W-M for hot water heat and was happy with it's performance. Fuel is NatGas.

Here's the deal on the Peerless.... On Sunday I did the monthly flushing of the bladder (or unit) to drain out the sediment. closed everything back up and waited for the heat to come on and waited for the pipe banging clanking to begin. After 24 hours the unit never came on. after tinkering, poking, and prodding, replacing the thermostat, the unit wouldn't fire. I called in a heating company to come out and look at it.

After an hour and a 1/2, he came to the flwg conclusion...
    unit low on water. auto fill is not opperable. cannot fill mannecy (?? can't read word so well) due to plugged inlet to boiler. tried to unblock inlet. filled boiler with hose thru relief pipe. temporary only. recommend replacing unit.

There are no leaks and were not looking to upgrade. piping is steel, not copper.

the unit is currently working and providing heat, but I'm thinking I may have to replace it. 1st est is 5 g's. for W-M. Burnham is 500 bucks less.

Another interesting twist... We have a home warranty and are looking at going thru them, but I'm nervous about the Home Warranty Co. performance. Their contractor has to determine that the boiler needs replacing, or see if the unit can be fixed. I would rather have it replaced as the unit is about 20 yrs old.

Rgds,

John
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Not trying to lose someone a job but!

John, I haven't heard any good reasons for replaceing that boiler. If it took someone one and ahalf hours to come up with "it"s out of water" I would run from them. Autofill can be replaced or repaired easy. And 20 years for that boiler isn't old, only about 1/2 done. If you still must replace go with the Burnham boiler and a good installer.Only consider the ones who measure all the heating units in the house and stay at least 1/2 hour writing and talking to themselfs about how they would do the job.
  • Steam Boilers - Continued

Thanks john@reliable.

Forgot to mention in my note, and it may be a key item, thanks to my wife... the drain/inlet valve near the bottom of the unit is blocked somewhere inside and no water
    can get in nor get out. guess that's probably important.

Would that be cause for replacement?
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Replacement of service person Yes, boiler no.

• The serviceman probably wrote

> Thanks to everyone for their insight.

>

> Burnham

> has been growing on me more and more in recent

> weeks. I grew up on a W-M for hot water heat and

> was happy with it's performance. Fuel is

> NatGas.

>

> Here's the deal on the Peerless....

> On Sunday I did the monthly flushing of the

> bladder (or unit) to drain out the sediment.

> closed everything back up and waited for the heat

> to come on and waited for the pipe banging

> clanking to begin. After 24 hours the unit never

> came on. after tinkering, poking, and prodding,

> replacing the thermostat, the unit wouldn't fire.

> I called in a heating company to come out and

> look at it.

>

> After an hour and a 1/2, he came

> to the flwg conclusion... unit low on water.

> auto fill is not opperable. cannot fill mannecy

> (?? can't read word so well) due to plugged inlet

> to boiler. tried to unblock inlet. filled

> boiler with hose thru relief pipe. temporary

> only. recommend replacing unit.

>

> There are no

> leaks and were not looking to upgrade. piping is

> steel, not copper.

>

> the unit is currently

> working and providing heat, but I'm thinking I

> may have to replace it. 1st est is 5 g's. for

> W-M. Burnham is 500 bucks less.

>

> Another

> interesting twist... We have a home warranty and

> are looking at going thru them, but I'm nervous

> about the Home Warranty Co. performance. Their

> contractor has to determine that the boiler needs

> replacing, or see if the unit can be fixed. I

> would rather have it replaced as the unit is

> about 20 yrs old.

>

> Rgds,

>

> John

• The serviceman probably wrote

" Cannot fill manually " . My guess would be that if the pipe filling the boiler is clogged shut , there might be some more problems inside that boiler . How often did you add water to it before the fill was clogged shut ?

If the boiler is in decent shape though , repiping the water inlet to the boiler shouldnt be a problem .
  • the service man probably wrote...

As the tech went thru the system we determined that the clog was beyond inside the inlet/outlet valve and inside the actual part of the boiler.

he cleared the inlet/outlet, and filled the system with water. The automatic fil apprears not to be working.

We have not not had to fill the unit before this event. When I checked the water feed coming into the boiler it looked like chocolate pudding. I'm told the previous owner never flushed the boiler at all.

So I'm thinking that, due to poor periodic montly maintenance, there's ton of sediment in the system, the inlet/outlet passage inside the boler has become blocked and may have the water passages at the bottom of the boiler blocked, the system needs a good cleaning, or it's beyond help.

worst fear is the later.
This discussion has been closed.