Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Company Loves This...PGP

Options
Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,658
This mechanical room provides partial heat to a nursing home. It also provides med. temp DHW to the kitchen and potable DHW. It uses 2-CFT "pool" boilers for the BB and convectors, 2 400K btu CFT pool boilers for med. temp(Kitchen)DHW and 2-75g gas fired water heaters for potable DHW. Amazingly, the system did not have an expansion tank on the heating side or potable DHW side! All the relief valves were dripping. 1.5mil BTU worth of boilers for a 900K load. I wouldn't be surprised if the facility was burning 50% up the stack and with standby losses. We're proposing a single Viessmann Vertomat boiler and (2)HoriCell 120g Indirects and a Dekamatic control.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Lots of hot water

Paul, How do you propose to make the switch over without service interuptions?
    Is there a ballpark $$ figure you could toss at us residential guys to give us an Idea of what this type of work brings? Is this "boiler room" accessable from the outdoors or is it downstairs thru the public halls?
    Just curious jim
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Lots of hot water

Paul, How do you propose to make the switch over without service interuptions?
    Is there a ballpark $$ figure you could toss at us residential guys to give us an Idea of what this type of work brings? Is this "boiler room" accessable from the outdoors or is it downstairs thru the public halls?
    Just curious jim
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,658
    Options
    Costs

I haven't finished pricing the total repipe, but I can tell you it will be in the $150-200K range. Since there are no existing mechanical plans, we'll provide as-builts and O&M manuals burned on a CD. We will repipe the entire room as well as move a small generator used for backup safety lighting. We'll move an existing water heater into an adjacent room to keep the potable DHW live during replacement. This area of the building fortunately doesn't contain living quarters and won't require heat for the 2 weeks this will take. Sometimes, you get lucky not having to hook up ancillary heating. The access is as good as it gets...the mechanical door is 42"w and that means everything does in and out without fighting or loosing your knuckles.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    well at least....

there not on the thirteenth floor !! when the elevator only goes to twelve!!

looks like a nice project!!
  • Leon
    Leon Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Very..

interested to see the final project.Could you please post apicture when your done.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Wow

Looks lkke a good job Paul. Thanks for the photos and the info. That would be as huge job for me. Not that I would'nt like it :).

Keep us informed, this is the type of project we can all learn from your example.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.