Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Way to go Dan!!!

Options
is very much needed. Dan your article in PM Engineer was an excellent wake up call to any of us who lecture or speak. I thank my high school English teacher who made us get up and speak publicly at least four times a year. I really hated doing it, then I got it again when I was in the military. I really got into it with college and church activities. There are so many opportunities to improve those skills. I look back on some of the poor people who had to sit through my learning phase and feel sorry for them. When I Pastored the church I had three opportunities a week to preach and that will surely get you looking at your delivery. I had them video taped and then critqued them with my wife (They always tell us the truth).

It is sad when attending conferences and seminars that I know people paid good money to attend and finding you want to get up and leave.

I also was recently subjected to a similar experience as you wrote about in your article. The room started out with about 75 people and and dwindled down to about 50 at the break. Upon returning from the break I peered into the room (I left also) and found about 15 people left. The subject was a good one but the presentation left a lot to be desired.

They all need to get your book on training people and how to prepare.

Just one more point I do not like to use Powerpoint. I had a couple of bad experiences when I was doing the Source program for Honeywell. The computer went down and there where no back up transparencies. It was not long after that that we started carrying them. I only use transparencies as I find them more reliable, I guess I am just old fashioned.

Again excellent article I hope people get the message.

Comments

• Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    multimedia

is defined as anything that delays the start of your presentation by more than 15 mminutes :-)

Mark
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Dan gives good semiar

Animated,funny,interesting,thought provoking,common language, the ideas get across and the day flys bye to quickly for those of us who want to learn.

Your on the right track Tim.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,551
    Options
    Thanks

for the feedback!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    And the props

you forgot the props!!
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    \"Toastmasters\" clubs

are an excellent way to practice speaking to groups especially for the beginning speaker. I've been a member for over 20 years and still find ways improve. The other benefit is hearing people from different professions talk about their businesses or interests. Speeches that must be given later to professional groups are encouraged so a person can practice to an audience of friendly people who will evaluate you in a positive way. Cost is about $55 a year and you can speak twice a month at most clubs. There are clubs in almost all cities that welcome guests. I think I remember Dan H. saying he was a Toastmaster years ago.
This discussion has been closed.