Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gravity heat

Options
Hello, I have a question to ask. I would like some input on gravity heating.I would like to blend 1900 with the year 2002. The layout is old boiler potbelly style, that is gravity loop would like to maintain gravity and install 3 pumped zones.

Comments

• Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Big John

I think you will have to pump the gravity zone. Dan may have some info on the FAQ section on the left hand side of the page. If you pump the new zones the gravity system will overheat. If you put a flow check on the gravity zone it won't gravity any more. I am not sure what a 2" zone valve would cost, but I would guess "a lot". Were you planning on replacing the boiler? I still like the primary secondary idea. Maybe some one else has a thought?????
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Little help?

John is a friend of mine and a first time visitor to the wall. Any comments?
  • Hows about using a zone valve for the gravity zone ?

You can use good ol' circs and flowvalves for the added 3 zones . Im not sure about the logistics of what would happen to the gravity zone if the other zones with circs kick in - maybe you might want to prioritize the gravity zone ? We installed a boiler with a gravity system just once , and the radiators heated up extremely quick .
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    gravity zoning......

i replaced my parents boiler a few years back, it was a gravity set up. I replaced it w/ a low mass boiler zoned w/ pumps(1 for the main heat, 1 -small baseboard loop,1-indirect WH) it works ok, I wish I knew then what I know now. (Dan's q&a helped) I have the ball valve closed down a lot to mimic the gravity flow. Boiler protection is a must, I have a full bypass on the one I did.Primary/ secondary is a real smart way to go ,and outdoor reset would be super. i actually would love to have a house w/ a gravity system. Thaey are a real work of art. kpc
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Unless you put the gravity zone on a priority, you will have big problems when the circed zones are calling.

Not really sure why you would want to keep that zone gravity, but unless you do this right you will make bigger problems than you are solving.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Thom Masse (a rookie)
    Options
    Delta - P

Having just watched Dan's newest and last video seminar wetheads and hot water systems (a reunion tour in the future Dan?). Since high pressure goes to low pressure,wouldn't the circulators push the gravity feed out? ( back in to the return? )
    A flow control valve would stop the gravity feeding but the ciculators would open them. Why not go with gravity all around?
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    i don't

think it can work, esp. w/ a new boiler( if he was to put in a new one) tappings and pipes are not big enough for the proper flow as it gets colder.the primary secondary is your best bet on a new system. As to the priority set up in the job I did at my parenta nothing is priority and it stll works well( never running out of H2O w/ 30 gallon SS) kpc
This discussion has been closed.