Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

staple-up tubing

Options
bovide
bovide Member Posts: 13
Which is a better choice for staple-up radiant installations: heat-link or onyx tubing? Any good or bad experiences?

Comments

• Patrick_3
    Patrick_3 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I've tried

both types of tubing, onix and Pex. There is no question that the onix is "staple up friendly" but after last weeks service call where the orange tube was as hard as copper and brittle as toast I'm a little concerned about 10yrs from now. I do not feel the heat transfer is as effiecient with the onix on staple up. Best of luck, Patrick
  • bovide
    bovide Member Posts: 13
    Options

Really! Good to know. Perhaps it is worth the extra work running Pex. Thanx.
  • John@WattsRadiant
    John@WattsRadiant Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Onix

There's a huge difference between putting up Onix and pex in underfloor applications. Besides the ease of installation with the Onix, you never have to worry about expansion and contraction noises occuring with Onix.
    There also is as much difference between Onix and other rubber tubing as there is between pex and polybutylene. So if polyb doesn't scare you away from pex (and it shouldn't), I wouldn't let other rubber (nitrile) scare you away from Onix.
    John Sweaney
    WattsRadiant
This discussion has been closed.