Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help!!!

Options
cowie
cowie Member Posts: 8
What is the clearance between 26 gauge smoke pipe and a combustible surface? What if the surface was covered with fire rated drywall? Also, does anyone know the distance between metalbestos and a combustuble surface?
Thanks!!

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    well..

the way I understand it on b vent( metalbestos) it 1' on gas appliances. 12" on smokepipe(26 ga.) one inspector says that it can be 6" if the appliance is UL rated.This is on Gas only. Even if the surface is fire rated sheet rock... NFPA considers sheetrock to be a combustable. hope this helps..kpc
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    Options

oil is 18" to any combustable material
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Where I am

Clearance to b-vent is 1", single wall gas appliance is 7", and single wall oil -fired appliance is 18" to any combustable surface. Drywall is combustable, I just take some flat sheetmetal, and use my brake to make a shield, with hemmed edges to prtect against cuts. Keep a 1" space between sheetmetal and drywall, use brackets made out of s-cleats for spacers, or pieces of 1/2" copper with a long screw. Hope this helps

Cas
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    clearances

where I live the manufactures installation inst. preceed the code. some boiler manf. allow 9" clearance to combustibles on single wall pipe. b-vent is 1" clearance to combustibles on appliances with a draft hood. on appliances without a draft hood it requires 6" clearances. L vent (oil and solid fuel) are 1" to 2" clearance for med temp appliances, and if you are using it as the horizontal vent connector it has to be approved for horizontal use. some L vent is only approved for vertical use. sheetrock, faced and unfaced fiberglass building ins. are all considered combustibles. fire rated mineral wool is not considered a combustible. hope this helps.

paul
This discussion has been closed.