Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler installation

Options
why not install with burner facing out? thats the one item that needs to be serviced yearly and the one hardest to get to. Also the draft reg. should be as close to chimney has you can,I find when installed like this soot ash will find it's way to the top of unit which mades for a dirty unit over time and gives oil that "dirty fuel".I do both installs and service so I look at things mostly from "I might be the one to go back and service so might as well make it easy". Have a good one! John@Reliable

Comments

• Gary Usa
    Gary Usa Member Posts: 40
    Options
    boiler installation

hiya guys,i was wondering if you would let me share this picture of you,this was a boiler i have just finished and stood back and felt really good about it,and was wondering what you thought of it guys.

hope that you are all well,and having a a nice day

take care

all the best

gary usa
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    good show...

nice clean, neat job. What brand of boiler is that? what sort of radiation is all the piping going to? i couldn't pick out where you put the water feed in? Carry on! ..kpc
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    looks good

is that a wooden door in front of that riello burner. ? Don't know the space constraints, but if grabbing some more space was not a big deal maybe spin the boiler 90 degrees for ease of service. That Reillo run pretty nice or what? Keep up the good work, its your signature and is an example of how serious you are about the trade.
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    Options
    copper pipe??

whats the copper pipe going down to the floor on the left. it seems as those are hot and cold domestic pipes to coil. is there a flow restrictor and tempering valve in there some where. also looking for feeder and backflow?? whats the benifit of the boiler drain on the expansion tank??
    looks good!!! how about those taco circ boards. i like the lights!! keep up the good work!!
    jim f.
    milford,ct.
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Beautiful,

EEE gats is that a tankless Schorcher coil? Just Kidding, another nice job.

Cas
  • Gary Usa
    Options
    thanks guys

well here goes the boiler is a slant fin liberty,the radiation is baseboard,the water feed is in the return ,how ever i am going to put it straight into the air scoop next time was thinking of trying to prevent cold storming the boiler but maybe next time will put it into the air scoop,the reason i had to turn the boiler in that direction was due to fire regulations,the burner had to be 10 feet away from the oil tank which was on the other side of the basement.

the pipe on the left hand side is a pressure relief for the domestic coil i put in a globe valve also for tempering the water,i put the drain valve on the expansion vessel in order that i can isolate the expansion vessel,open the drain valve and to relieve the pressure and be able to spin off the expansion vessel and is good for venting the pipe work up to vessel,

thanks again guys and please if you think their is something i should have done differently please say so hopefully one day will get it down to perfection lloloo

take care

all the best

gary usa
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Nice work

one comment. Should that exp tank ever fill that would be a lot of weight on that 1/2" offset, lots of leverage, the longer the offset :) I'd beef up the support or remote mount the tank and pex or copper to it.

Glad you are having fun hydronicizing the US!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Quick fix

For the expansion tank support you could just use two split ring hangars, one on the 1/2blk nipple, and the other on the 1 1/4blk maifold with a little threaded rod between. Just watch your knuckles when you turn the boiler drain to vent the water in the expansion tank! I think I read somewhere that we aren't supposed to use a "T" to install the draft regulator, instead to use the field install T fitting that comes with the draft regulator. Something about increasing the distance between the exhaust stream and the regulator valve. I will have to look at the instructions when I clean, and organize (IT REALLY NEEDS IT, late service call last night!) my truck....I have a new one in there. I am not familiar with that boiler, but does it have a swinging door for cleaning? Replacing boilers in existing installations is a real challenge when you try to get everything perfect!!!!

Cas
  • kevin
    Options
    TEN feet....

where is that??? I thought NFPA only said FIVE feet.. to an oil tank. Or is that some town in LI's thing.kpc
  • HBW
    HBW Member Posts: 33
    Options
    NFPA 31

NFPA 31 4.3.6

Oil-burning appliances and equipment shall be installed so that a minimum 3-ft separation is maintained from any electrical panelboard and a minimum 5-ft separation is maintained from any unenclosed fuel oil tank.

Nice work Gary USA!
  • JIM F.
    Options
    10 FEET AWAY????????

WHY 10' AWAY. I HAVE A SITUATION RIGHT NOW THAT THE GC WANTS TO JAM THE OIL TANKS IN A LITTLE ROOM WITH THE 2 BOILERS AND PHASE 3 INDIRECT IN A TIGHT LITTLE ROOM(I WILL POST PICTURES OF THE JOB, POURING SLAB AS I SPEAK). MEANING TO CALL LOCAL BUILDING INSECTOR TO SEE WHAT HE WANTS. AS YOU ALL KNOW IF THE BUILDING INSPECTOR WANTS IT, ITS RIGHT AND NO NEED FOR A CODE BOOK!!??. GO FIGURE. WHY HAVE A CODE BOOK ANY WAY. IM CURIOUS ON THIS CODE. SOME CODES SAY 5' FROM HEAT SOURCE , SOME SAY 7' SOME SAY 9'. I ALLWAYS THOUGHT MOST STRINGENT CODE APPLIES!! ALSO I HEARD IF HOUSE IS UNDER "X" AMOUNT OF SQ FOOTAGE- BOCCA APPLIES AND OVER "X" AMOUNT CABO APPLIES. STILL TRYING TO FIND WHATS RIGHT. I KNOW NFPA 31 STATES 5' BUT IT GETS INTO A POLITICAL PISSING MATCH BETWEEN US- GC- ARCHITECT - ENGINERES- LOCAL INSPECTOR AND THEN UP TO STATE INSPECTOR. WHY DON'T ALL THESE CODES BE JUST"ONE" CODE NATIONALY. THAN EVERY ONE IS SAFE!!!! WHY HAVE DIFFERENT CODES WITH DIFFERENT STATES OR LOCALITIES. IF ITS SAFE ITS SAFE FOR EVERYONE. I UNDERSTAND EVERY JOB IS DIFFERENT BUT HOUSE SHOULD BE DESIGNED TO BE SAFE ANYWAY. THERE SHOULD BE "ONE" CODE THAT WOOULD THE SET CODE NATIONALLY AND NO ONE WOULD BE IN QUESTION OR NO PROBLEMS. MAYBE THE UNITED STATES MECHANICAL CODE BOOK?? FOLLOW THESE CODES OR ELSE.
    SORRY FOR RAMBELING ON BUT GET PISSED WHEN ONE CODE SAYS ONE THING AND INSPECTOR SAYS "WELL I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT CODE I GO BY THIS CODE". WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO -LOSE MANY MAN HOURS AND MATERIALS AT INSPECTORS EXPENESE.SURE I'LL SEND THE BUILDING DEPT. FOR THE BILL. THINK I'LL GET PAID??
    JIM F.
    MILFORD, CT.
  • Excellent work Gary U.S.

Piping the boiler nice and straight makes the job look great , but the extra touches set your work apart from most others - like the extra tapping in the header for a future zone , the shutoff on the cold AND the hot of the coil , shutoff valves after the flowvalves , a shutoff valve and a drain for the expansion tank , the compression fitting in the relief valve for easy repacement , and the boiler is on blocks . I used to use the electrical tape on the conduit also , but our shop started carrying those plastic zip ties - they go on easier and wont unravel after a few months . Great job Gary .
  • kevin
    Options
    Amen Jim!

I 'd say something about the message in all caps but as i was reading it WAS obvious that you were yelling.:) kpc
  • JIM F.
    Options
    sorry.!!!!!!!!!!

wasent yelling did'nt relize i was typing i caps till the end when i looked up.im a one -two finger typer and have to look at the keyboard... didnt feel like retyping so i just sent it in caps......sorry for yelling- usually am a cool calm collected guy
    jim f.
    milford, ct.
  • kevin
    Options
    its ok..

we all need to vent every now and again...kpc
  • Gary , we pipe the feeder into the return

all the time . I understand it should be piped right at the point of no pressure change , so we did a test once - we had a 5 zone boiler , and we turned on all the circs at once . The pressure gauge we had on a purge valve near the feeder didnt move .

We also like to purge the system hot - its easier to know when you got all the air out .
  • Gary Usa
    Options
    feeder position

hiya.i thought about the position of the feeder,i installed it into the return however i thought after about it may have been better into the air scoop for the reason of,when i introduce fresh water into the system it contains oxygen and by installing it straight into the air scoop it can come out straight away opposed to having to go round the whole return before exiting out of the air scoop,have been experimenting what the best position is for the feeder,i do on steam put it into the return to stop cold shock,but don;t know how much difference is makes with hydronic.

hope you are keeping well

all the best

gary usa
  • We dont use airscoops much

We rely on the built in air elimination in the boiler and a good purge . I wouldnt think it would make a difference though , where the feeder is piped - the airscoop should grab the air anyway . Whether the air will travel back up the return - with flowvalves opposing the flow , I really wouldnt know - very good point Gary .

A big difference I just recently found out is to use an air vent with a bigger tapping size than 1/8 inch . We just did 2 big boilers - one with two 1/8 inch air vents and another with an 1/8 inch and a 3/4 inch air vent . The bigger size vents that air a helluva alot faster .
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Hi Gary

Hope you are enjoying it over here! Keep putting that feed at the x-tank..page 49 of "Pumping Away" by the man himself!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.