Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is a Colman Guage

HBW
HBW Member Posts: 33
What happened to the 14" HG test ???

Comments

• Ray_3
    Ray_3 Member Posts: 6
    What is a colman guage

I need to re-certify a gas line and the local gas company wants me to charge the line with 90psi measured by a colman guage. Thanks for the help ....
    ray
  • JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240

It is a special type of manometer that is very sensitive. It is the gold standard for gas line leak checking. Once you have 90 psi on the line, both sides of the manometer are exposed to line pressure, then the valve on one side is closed. Any drop in line pressure will show up as very rapid movement of the gauge fluid.

Last time I needed one, I rented it from the local tool rental shop. Make SURE they give you all the fittings you need, because typically the gauge connects to a very specific quick-connect x 1/4 mpt fitting that you won't have unless they give it to you. Also, get some extra gauge fluid. If this is your first time using one, you'll probably do the "Old Faithful" bit at least once.
  • instructions for the gauge (kulman)

are on the inside of the case, the quick test after doing za zero to the gauge (all valves open) close all valves then connect to system, slowly open valve #1 to get reading, close valve till you get desired pressure and reopen as many times till you get line pumped up, with desired pressure still connected to system, slowly open #2 valve then close #1 ,if there is a large leak it will slowly rise in the tube immediately, leave #2 open for a bit with #1 still closed , then shut #2 for approximately 15 minutes to detect small leaks slowly open #2 and watch
    the center tube to see if the fluid rises , a minute leak will show up at about a quarter inch and more will not pass inspection!!! should be able to get from your local suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.