Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

any alternate to ashphalt felt ?

Options
Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
Saw some at the Big Box.

Comments

• j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    ashphalt felt for under wood floors

anyone know of an alternate to asphalt felt material that my floor guy wants to put under a new hardwood floor....no radiant floor heat, but i'd like to avoid using it if possible....any 'green' materials out there?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Building Paper

Old-time product that is still made. It was traditionally used between layers of floor and around door/window openings and sometimes even as a full lining on the inside of walls.

Purpose between floors has much to do with sound. It helps prevent squeeks and also helps prevent dirt filtering through the cracks and in between layers where it could build up and cause squeeks.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    What about

that red colored rosin paper? Not good for foot traffic, but if the wood is going down right away.

Also, I have seen some plastic slip sheets used by various tilesetters, probably a bit pricey however.

Ask over at some of the online hardwood sites also, they should know.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    That is building paper...

Trade name used to be "Red Rosin" but not certain if that's still it. It's been quite a few years since I bought any.
This discussion has been closed.