Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Exchangers

Junior
Junior Member Posts: 1
What is the best way to tell if a heat exchanger is cracked or leaking? Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

Comments

• Gregg Jackson
    Gregg Jackson Member Posts: 55
    I would try

to isolate with valves and pressure test.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    For a WAF?

You can use a combustion analyzer or smoke bomb,these are two ways.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Are you

talking about furnaces or boilers??? Boilers are easy to know. You get water all over the floor. Furnaces are harder. I have a 2 inch wide by 18" long mirror. I take out the burners and shine a flashlight up the heating cell. I look for rust spots or even hairline cracks. I also have a Testo optic flexible wand. It's a flexible wand with a lens you can look through and see out the end. It has a light bulb in the end so you can see.
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    heat x checks

we use all kinds of methods to check heat exchangers.
    1) draft test- using a draft gauge, take draft reading when burners running. then turn on blower. if gauge moves to positive side. heat exchanger cracked.
    2) smoke bomb- temporarily block smoke pipe with rags or newspaper. (make sure burner doesnot operate) put smoke bomb in chamber. turn blower on. if any smoke goes into duct work , heat exchanger cracked.
    3) co test- if co levels in duct work is at dangerous levels. unit should be replaced.
    4) other signs of cracked heat exchanger- soot at registers(supply) , soot on return air filter, smells.
    5) with burner running watch flame when blower starts, if it moves dramatially go to step 1
    jim f.
This discussion has been closed.