Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas flame vs. oil flame

Options
I know that #2 fuel oil burns hotter than Natural gas but have never seen the actual temperatures.Any info. or resources I can look into on this topic? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!! JVS

Comments

• oilwizard
    oilwizard Member Posts: 46
    Options
    btu's

I don't remember what it is for natural but lp gives you about 94,000 btus per gallon where oil you get about 145,000 btus per gallon.
    Joe
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Those are btu content

Numbers. Natural gas is 100,000 per therm, which is 100 cu.ft. I think I've seen #2 oil listed at 139,000/gl and LP at 93,000/gl.

I think what he was asking is if there is an actual difference in the temp of the flame. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe Timmy or someone really smart on that stuff does.
  • Gas Flame Temperature

The Gas Engineers Handbook list a Natural gas Flame as having an average temperature of about 2800 degrees (F). I will have to look up oil flame temp. I will probably ask Alan Mercurio or George Lanthier I am sure they would know. Is there a particular reason you wanted to know?

Just a little point of info, before mid efficiency and hi efficiency gas systems oil power burners were more efficient than gas atmospheric systems. Why? Simple the oil power burner used a motor therefore it needed less excess air about 20% versus the gas atmospheric needed 40 to 50%. Then again the Gas Power conversion burner installed to replace most oil burners would give about 78 to 80 % Combustion efficincy.

Another difference is the ultimate CO2 of the two fuels natural gas is 11.7% oil is 15.2% this sometimes causes people to confuse the efficiency concept as gas is typically 8.5% to 9.5% oil can be up around 12 to 13%. they are actually at that point about the same efficiency.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    if

foggy memory serves, gas flame is around 1700-1800 degrees and oil is 2400-2500 degrees.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    See

I knew there'd be somebody really smart here.

Thanks Bob & Timmy
This discussion has been closed.