Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Recirc Opinions

HBW
HBW Member Posts: 33
What experience has anyone had with using either the Grundofs Comfort UP or the Laing ACT-303-BTW for domestic hot water recirc without the dedicated return line???

Thanks,

HBW

Comments

• I've installed 3

of them (Laing). One on a 235,000btu Takagi T-M1. You couldn't pay my homeowner/customers to go back to waiting for hot water.

Instant hot water, lower water bills, and so quiet you don't even know they're running.

Install in less than an hour (if 120v is available).

Go for it.

Brian (water heating is a tankless job) Wood.
  • eric_2
    eric_2 Member Posts: 148
    Has anyone

tried Taco's plumb n' plug 006PNP? Brought some in by customer request and was curious to see the Wallie's feedback. How does it stack up to the Laing?
  • ChrisL
    ChrisL Member Posts: 121
    Brian- how does a tankless work with recirc?

Hello Brian,

How are you getting a recirc line to work with a tankless hwh without constant short cycling. I have never installed a tankless, but am a bit intrigued by their benefits. The downfall to me always seemed to be the delay before getting hot water to the faucet. Now a recirc line would solve that, but since there is so little water recirculating, I would think you would be firing up every 10-15 min to maintain temp. Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Chris L
  • Steve Paul
    Steve Paul Member Posts: 83

We have installed about six Laing recircs. They all have made the customers happy. The only problem we had was on one job, when the pump shut down it caused the Moen pressure balancing spool to shift and produce an audible click. It HAD to be the job for Mrs. GOTBUCKSCANTBEPLEASED! Nothing we could do would quiet tghat spool down. Any thoughts?
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    use

a soft seated check in the line serving her clicking faucet.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • has anyone tried a

recirculating line without a pump? an inspector told me years ago that it works and it does. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • It does work without a pump

Seen it alot in NYC . It was usually 2 or 3 internal coils in a big steam boiler , feeding into a big mixing valve , going to the apartments in 1 1/2 inch copper . The recirc line usually came back in a simple 1/2 copper pipe , and it did come back hot. As long as the return line comes back and connects to the hot water maker lower than where it tees into the hot lines , it should work . And you need the checkvalve in there too .
This discussion has been closed.