Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anti-Freeze Flush

Options
Ed_3
Ed_3 Member Posts: 1
Prior to refilling my closed system and replacing my old Cryotech with fresh Cryotech anti-freeze could someone suggest a good Brand name "system flush product". I have a cast iron boiler and recent modifications containing flux, solder and 8 years of usage. Would plain water work to flush out the system? Thanks to all.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Flushing

Silver King, Rectorseal, Hercules, Stewart- Hall and a few other chemical companies have hydronic system cleaners. I am trying a new product by Rhomar, soon to be on the market. It is formulated to be used in systems with plastic, steel, rubber, and aluminum. Some cleaners can be hard on aluminum if any is present in your system.

TSP (soap) can be used also usually a 1-2% solution should work. Hard to find the "strong stuff" anymore but most hardware stores should carry some sort. I have also used automatic dishwasher detergents. Don't use dish or laundry soaps or you may suds yourself into next week.

The beauty of hydronic system cleaners is they have other ingrediants that provide film layers to help protect the surfaces, and buffers for ph.

Whatever you use be sure to flush it well and check the ph when you are finished. I highly recommend a hydronic system conditioner be added to protect all the "bare naked" surfaces after you clean them.

Stay away from the strong acid based cleaners "sizzle" unless you have a lime or calcium build up problem.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.