Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning boiler

joe_4
joe_4 Member Posts: 6
I'm a homeowner and would like to know the procedure for cleaning out my steam boiler(weil mclain). I bought a bottle of hercules cleaning solvent. What are the step by step procedures(e.g. removing plug for solvent,turnig on/off boiler, etc..) and also the precautions (e.g. will plug/valve be tough to remove for pouring solvent and is there an easy way to remove).

The water in sightglass is dirty and surges when boiler is on. Does the sightglass assembly need to be replaced(how do you remove it?). Do any other items need to be replaced?

I turned the drain valve but none of the boiler water came out. Is there something wrong with the ball valve or could the boiler be that clogged. I wanted to drain some of the boiler water before using the solvent. It was pretty cold this morning (38F, in NJ) and I wanted to warm the house a little for the kids.

The more info you guys have the better I'll understand how to maintain my boiler.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    boiler cleaning

From a tool and safety standpoint cleaning a steam boiler and system internally is not something the average handyman should tackle. Find a reliable contractor with a good knowledge of steam systems and the necessary equipment to clean and set up your boiler on both the water and combustion sides of the system.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Clean the boiler

Sounds like the system needs to be skimmed,which is not hard to do ,but if not done right it's a waste of time and water.This should be done by service tech. or check Dans books for proper way to do it yourself.Much to long to explain here
This discussion has been closed.