Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Building & supporting pumps/manifolds

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
Takeoffs from the side or bottom will solve air problems. Primary secondary takeoffs can be hard to purge when taken off the top. Sometimes a second air purger is needed on the secondary loop as the air may never get back to the purger at the boiler or primary loop.

I like the double back idea for a space saver also, Thanks :)

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Building & supporting pumps/manifolds

I see all the great posts with pictures of piping systems and manifolds etc, many mounted on panels using "channel" bars and mounts.

What I am looking for is guidelines for more simple layouts for mounting and supporting pumps and manifolds. Non-radiant, just baseboard hydronic systems. And some real pictures, not just schematic drawings.

For example, info like how to mount multiple 007 circulators off of 1 1/4" horizontal iron pipe manifold out the top of a boiler. How do you "support" the weight? Must you use a "panel" board or can the pipe support the weight by itself? Is there a genral rule about how many circulators can be mounted on just the pipe before extra support is needed? Stuff like this, for simple residential non-radiant layouts.

Any help greatly appreciated. Pictures too.

TIA,
    Phil
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Some time proven options

Hard to be good "ole" unistrut for a wide varity of fastening options. On a simple system a combo of the boiler and some all thread will allow plenty of support and adjustability.

I'd sure look at the EarthLee headers for my near boiler piping for weight handle, excellent craftmanship, and cost effectiveness.

Some times a swing ell is needed to adjust for crooked tapped boiler outlets, to get things plumb.

Should be everything you need in this picture :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    Options
    manifolds

we use split rings and a piece of 3/8 threaded rod with nuts and bolts and a ceiling flange mounted with anchors to floor. we also use 1/2 black pipe or 1/2 emt over threaded rod to give some stability so rod does not bend
  • JIM F.
    Options
    manifold support

heres a better picture of the supports i was talking about
  • JIM F.
    Options
    manifolds

he just got our first manifolds from earthlee. LOVE THEM
    here is the info
    Lee Brooks
    Earth Lee Ltd.
    Fabricators of "SPEEDHEADER"
    phone 631-821-1213
    fax 631-821-0903
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks, Jim and hotrod. Great info.

I am liking the headers! Jim, those are flow control / one-way valves above the circulators, right? So THATs how you get flow control on a vertical line!

Thanks again, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Phil

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Phil

I learned from guys like Hot Rod,heatboy and so many more like Jim.I dont score many radiant installs and do primarily HWBB.I use Power Strut and power strut cushion clamps.Also pear hangers and threaded rod.Heres a couple.

cheese

www.tyco-alliedsupport.com/pages/catindexhtml
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Lets try that link.............

one more time.............
  • Lee_2
    Lee_2 Member Posts: 48
    Options

It always makes my rainy day better when nice comments are made regarding my manifolds!

With a boiler setting using our 2-3-and 4 station headers,usually there is no need for added support. We have used flat bar and/or angle iron clips with predrilled holes welded onto the custom headers for mounting. Another option is using a 3/4" half coupeling welded to the pipe but not breeching the header and the installer fabricates a nipple for the distance he needs and makes up a pre-manufactured wall flange allowing him to adjust for length by various size 3/4 nipples and using a wall flange to bolt wherever he wants. This seems to be a popular way to bolt to the floor and/or masonary wall. The cost is inexpensive. Any mounting can be fabricated easily.
  • If you use a boiler with 2 header tappings

We used both tappings on this ECT and teed them together - nothing is gonna move these apart . On the smaller WBV with one header tapping , we went up to a 5 zone with circs and flowvalves . The trick is to keep all the weight in one place - the 1 1/4 inch cross tee is my favorite . But I sure would like to use those speed headers .

If youre gonna use an airscoop , youre gonna need extra support from somewhere . That 18 inch straight run for the scoop makes it impractical where we do most of our work . You probably know that working on Long Island .
  • jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    support

i'm doing a job were we remove an old edwards boiler and installed to burnham primary secondary with a 3'' pump on the supply which drop down thourgh the dry wall ceiling so what i did is put a tee under the pump which i vertically mounted then ran a drip leg to the floor also did this on the return which we hung a wye strainer then ran 3" around i have now done 4 buildings like this
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Beautiful work

Thanks for the picture, outstanding.
  • Jamie Pompetti
    Jamie Pompetti Member Posts: 82
    Options

I see this system is pumped forward! Do you have any sort of thermal shock protection for this job? And do you think it's even necessary?

Jamie
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Really nice stuff Mike

Those are some fine looking jobs Mike. Thats the stuff I save and show my guys. "Look at what you can do ". Thanks for the pictures.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Roger Litman
    Roger Litman Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Take-offs pointing down

We have been using the steel headers with welded takeoffs for some time and found that by putting the takeoffs pointing down or horizontally, that any air will go along the top of the header to the end where we put an automatic air vent, this combined with pumping on the supply and using the same system on the return means that trapped air almost never happens and that the initial bleeding is the last that ever will be done. We also like the flexibility and often avoid long lengths(a bad leverage system) by using two manifolds with an elbow rather than one long one. It also saves inventory problems and makes the job more compact.

• Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    manifold

E-Z header
This discussion has been closed.