Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AO Smith Question

Options
ChrisL
ChrisL Member Posts: 121
I've got an AO Smith BTC 199 Hwh in a multifamily building. Approx 5 yrs. old. The metal cover that fits over the thermostat+ignition module screws to the outer metal shell of the tank. The holes that the screws go into seep water. Has anyone ever seen this happen? There is no evidence of a leak of any kind, and I can't imagine it being condensation.

I guess the only conclusive thing to do would be to cut out a section of the outer metal shell, and see what's happening. Not a nice thing to do. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    can you.....

stick your finger in around the shell and find out better before "digging in"? I can't imagine that the screw would catch the tank.kpc
  • Water Heater Sweating

I have seen this an several commercial water heaters. It is the tank sweating on the outside and seeping out through any openings it can find. Not much you can do about it. Just make sure the room is not damp and wet or excessive humidity. Try to feel around before cutting away out side.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Is the vent proper ?

Is there a backing up of vent gases in the room or in the combustion chamber? Any gases of combustion getting close to the cold bottom of the tank, (cold always during high use) can and will condensate. This could be the source of of the water. If so that water is highly corrosive. A properly adjusted fire (useing insterments) will and would be needed to set the fire correctly. anyway bigugh
  • ChrisL
    ChrisL Member Posts: 121
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to keep an eye on it going forward....see if it is dependent on any particular conditions.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.