Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A water heater story...

Options
scrook
scrook Member Posts: 26
from alt.home.repair

Recently I had a rather distressing experience with one of the larger home improvement centers. I've already drafted a letter to their Customer Service, but I'd like to get a feel from some list members before proceding....

My 15 year old water heater started leaking so I chose a replacement at a local, national franchised home improvement center and opted for their professional installation (here in Oregon you need a permit to install or
replace a water heater).

The installers arrived and removed the old heater. When I saw the "new" unit I was surprised the box it was in seemed rag tag and sure enough, the "new unit" was damaged with one dent measuring 16 inches by 4 inches along it's side which was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in depth. There was another dent which was 4 inches by 4 inches along the top seam. Obviously, this was a display or floor model which had fallen and been damaged.

The installers were a bit chagrined, but told me it would be covered under warrantee if there were any problems. (They assured me that the dents were likely cosmetic)

Well, I was a bit over a barrel as I have to work 2 long shifts the next couple of days and to be without hot water for 3 days just wasn't acceptable so the "new" water heater was installed.

It occurs to me that if I have a problem, that damaged appliances are in fact not covered by a manufacturer's warranty. Plus 12 years is a long time, and there have been several home improvement centers which have gone bankrupt; so even if they vouch for the waterheater, there is no "gurantee" they will be around to take care of things. [snip to end]

Hope he paid using his plastic!

Comments

• Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    I would like to hear the response from the Big Box

before passing judgement, but technically they are probably right when they said the dents are cosmetic and won't affect the performance. However, being in the business, we do not allow "floor models" or damaged units to be sold unless specifically asked for by customers. Some people want a deal and will take them, otherwise we use them ourselves for family and friends, or make our suppliers take them back (you need to buy a whole lot more than you return though). Your situation is what distinguishes US from THEM. We sell from the position that our PRODUCTS may be the same but our SERVICE is worth more. I would love to hear that the Big Box will replace that unit with a new, non-dented unit at no charge, but I believe the best they will do is offer some type of "discount" (read "money to go away") or could even restate the installers position that its O.K. and warranteed anyway. The more I see what the Big Boys do the more my customers appreciate me. If we run into a customer who questions our value, we just send them to the Big Boxes and wait for their return with a better understanding of what we do FOR them rather than TO them. I hope this gentleman will one day find his "personal plumber" to take care of his needs.

From down in the trenches,

I om the Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,535
    Options
    They use

freelance installers. Could be that the guy dropped it on the way to the job and didn't want to get in a jam with Big Box.

Retired and loving it.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    It is possible to

fracture the glass lining in the tank if they are dropped. The WH manufactures tell me this can really decrease the life expectancy of the tank if the lining is compromised.

I'd get a new undamaged tank, somehow.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    If I was you

I would ask for a new one! this isn't right. You payed for a new one,if you dent it thats one thing but not by them. As a owner of small firm we would never do this. I see this far to often from chains. I take pride in our work and really care for most of our customers. Must admit wish some wouldn't call us back. Also you can't see if any damage was done to tank!
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Is it not True

That the Warranty is with the Manufacturer, not the Retailer. Think about it. While a dented tank can compromise the glass lining integrity, my experience tells me that if a tank fails within the first year, many manufacturers want the tank returned. If beyond 1 year, the stick on label is sufficient, and a replacement is provided. Warranty for balance of original warranty period only. Labor paid by Owner. Of course, normally, one would not accept a damaged tank in the first place.

JED
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    warranty

is voided if the glass lined tank is layed on its side during shipping to the job. I doubt that a tank droped several types would be clasified as a warranty eligable unit. The best alternative would be to call the store and make arrangements for a swap out with a differant installer.
This discussion has been closed.