Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chimney liner

Options
Les_2
Les_2 Member Posts: 3
I have a Weil/McLain hot water baseboard system (135,000) btu and must install a stainless chimney liner. I can get one from a wholesale house and plan to instal it myself. Problem is I don't know what diameter to get....I beleive I have a 7inch pipe going into the chimney...but it looks like the flue at the top would only accomodate a six inch pipe....what do you suggest....thanks......

Comments

• Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    liner

I would suggest you contact a profesional hvac contractor that has a sizing chart for chimney liners, amount of appliances, total btu and height can all impact the liner size--AL
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    And...

you can't stuff as many square BTU's (like the ones that come from your square appliances)into a ruffled round receiver. Call a professional ruffle stuffer with the proper ruffle stuffing charts and parts and stuff.

You'll sleep better knowing that you WILL wake up in the morning. Waking up dead from CO poisining is NOT a good way to start the day. IMHO

Call a pro.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Chimney lining

we just had twelve chimneys lined with a ceramic spray process that has been used in Europe for a while now. you don't really lose any flue size and the way I understand it they can get a zero clearance rating if you need it. We happen to be using these chimneys as air ducts so all the mechanical engineer was looking for, was somthing to coat the inside and keep them "clean". It was a really cool process and would be worth looking into. I don't recall the brand name but I will look it up in the morning. Oh and we don't need to get into the chimney as an air duct debate in this thread. it was a gov. job and aparently the are exempt from any building codes that inconveince them. nuff said

Paul
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    liners

Our sweep just started using a cast in place liner, basicly he puts a balloon in the chimney and inflates to the diam needed then he pumps in the liner to form around it. I had a piece of this today and feels as dense as lava rock but not as porous. This is supposed to be unaffected by condensation. I think I'll pour some Sizzle on it just to see.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    I remember seeing that

on a really old old episode of This Old House, so it's been around for a while.

I wonder if it adds structural integraty to a crumbling chimney?

Mark
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Linings....

I believe one of the newer products being pumped in for liners is called "Thermocrete" . I did a job with a mason last year , and from all reports(so far) , it is looking just like the day he put it in .The chimney in this house was being exposed , and it was filthy with soot from an old oil system. The pointing was all missing and the old liner was sitting in the cleanout. Pumped in, repointed and it looks like brand new at considerably less cost than a total rebuild . Check the Yellow Pages in your area . Anyone who's invested this much money in equipment will be showing it off . Chris.
This discussion has been closed.