Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Odor in Steam System

Options
What does it smell like? I would think if it's on water side of boiler you would get smell upstairs from vents. Also might check that boiler isn't leaking from loose plug or prv nipple. Also was system set up with test equipment? Gas units can and do get dirty,have had plugged heat exchangers. What about spill from a blocked chimney? Maybe Dan will get smellavision which would make this easy. Hope this helps John@Reliable

Comments

• Dan S.
    Dan S. Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Odor in Steam System

A friend of mine installed a IE 4 Burnham Gas Steam Boiler about a year ago. It has dry base returns running into it with a 2-inch header but with a equalizier attached to it. It basically looks like a T on its side. One other factor is there are no air vents on the dry returns(It has been like this since the house was built). Well the problem is the customer is getting an odor (we think from the boiler???) in the basement but not upstairs. I read Dan's answer of using Tri-Phosphate to clean the boiler but why does this happen after a year has gone by? Also any other ways of checking out problem or other solution it might be. Please let me know also how do I use Tri-Phoshate with this boiler??Thank you..
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options

This discussion has been closed.