Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what is this ???

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
Timmie the Elder, will know for sure. Anyone else have an idea just what this is ?

My guess would be some sort of gas drip leg to remove moisture/liquid ?

We found this on an old gas hot water install.

Scott
<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    buffer?

Even though most service lines in from the street are 1in around here, local gas company used to require 1.5in from the meter to the furnace. They claimed it provided a "buffer" against pressure loss during ignition.

I could never rationalize it working, but they had the final say on such things. If it did do as they say it probably was just covering up for poor piping out in their network :-)

I thought for a minute it might also contain some sort of dessicant but if so I'd expect side/bottom inlet and side/top outlet.

Mark
  • It amazing what some people will do

if they run out of 3/4 couplings and nipples .
  • Unknown
    Options
    I know! I know!

It's a day tank!!??!!
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    It's a filter

I've seen a few on old stuff. Took one apart and it had steel wool in it. My guess is some rusty dust in the gas was clogging the pilot orifice. I use ice maker water filters in the line to humidifiers when I get tired of picking the little clogs out of the humidifier orifice.
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Yeah I have seen that before

Just like Dale, I found steel wool in the larger pipe. I asked an old timer from the gas utility and he said that they used to throw these on a house that was on the lowest (in elevation) tap from the street main.

Casmo
    Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Dale is right

it is a filter for the old gas which was very dusty. It can be removed now no longer needed.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Thatsoneofthem..............

$900.00 gas water heater hammer arresstors.

:)
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A Blooie pipe!

We used to put them on our mini bike exhausts to make them louder :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Scott can put it on his truck

for better mileage.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Answers

One Guess

Three correct

Four Wise guys !!

Ands Thats why I love this place..

Thanks Timmie, The money I save on milage I'll spend on class !

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Here it is!

right out of my National Fuel Gas Code Handbook (NFPA 54-1999.) This book has both the code, and interpretation, pictures, and examples in blue ink. Very handy. Guess I need a new version :)

hot rod

• I knew I had a picture somewhere

HR that Handbook by Ted Lemoff is great I just got the new code book about a month ago and ordered the new Handbook it is on back order as of todays notice from NFPA.
This discussion has been closed.