Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Reillo recall

Options
Hi,

Does anybody know what the recall a few years ago on the BF-3 was for? What were the symptoms?

Thanks,

Ron

Comments

• Mitch
    Mitch Member Posts: 1
    Options

Needed to rewire post purge unit . Burners were sticking on . I had one unit get so hot that it only shut off when the wires melted and shorted out and tripped the breaker > Very scary
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

Hi Mitch,

How was the post purge re-wired? Was that just a temporary fix or did Riello fix the module?

This really sounds like the problem that I am trying to fix. Very intermittantly the boiler trips on overtemp. (never while I am looking of course)

Thanks,

Ron
  • Mitch_2
    Mitch_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    post purge

If I remember corectly , the post purge had a 110 volts directly and you were to disconect it but I can't remember if it was left disconected or it was conected to the B-1 . Hope this helps ,
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Ron,

Here are the email addresses of 2 factory guys,

choldforth@rbna.com

hwarren@rbna.com

These guys will be able to look it up in a heartbeat and give you the facts . Best of luck , Chris.
  • Bob Tonner
    Bob Tonner Member Posts: 64
    Options
    The problem....

The recall was related to a post-purge control called the ET-25. It had a failure mode that could cause the burner to run continuously. It was replaced by an entirely new control called the K7R that has a greatly improved, fail-safe design.

See Chris' posting below for Riello contacts

best regards

Bob Tonner
    President
    InfinityLab Inc.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    and they had...

a bunch of headaches w/ that one last fall/winter.I got burned w/ one then... Riello is a nice burner(F3/F5) but I am a bit gunshy still about the BF series ...kpc
  • Bob Tonner
    Bob Tonner Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Problems

Kevin,

You are correct. There was a batch of a few hundred controls made in September 2001 that had a lower rate of reliability than normal. The problem was traced to a semi-conductor chip (opto-isolator) made by Motorola. It was determined that the same chip made by Toshiba had a much better capabilities in this circuit, and therfore all subsequent manufacturing runs have used the Toshiba part. There have been no reliability concerns before or since.

I am intimately familiar with this situation, in that I am the designer and President of the company that manufactures these controls.

Please be assured that these controls are of the highest reliability and the safest design.

Best regards

Bob Tonner, President, InfinityLab Inc.
This discussion has been closed.