Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator Orientation

Options
corey
corey Member Posts: 45
My DHW circulator (007) is mounted horizontally (meaning flow is horizontal).
The horizontal piping run it is mounted on is essentially the highest point in the loop.
It is pumping away, and is downstream of a Taco Air Scoop.

I had to drain the loop to repair a leak. I purged as much air as possible at the top of the check valve (on the return, see picture Boiler4.JPG).

The circulator is still making "I have air in me" noises.
Actually, it was a little noisy (compared to the one mounted vertically) even before the repair.

Will the Air Scoop eventually purge the air from this line, or is this circulator orientation just asking for trouble?

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    air noise

did you loose the screw on top of the flow check valve when you purged the system? also i believe the 007 feeding the tank is in upside down you also might think about installing a spirovent air elimanator in place of the air scoop

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    From the look of your pic, It seems that the air in that loop

going to the W/H is trapped at the pump. It will eventually absorb into the system and the air eliminator will get rid of it. This may take a while. I'd place a 3/4 x 1/8 x 3/4 air vent tee and a coin air valve to vent that pump. Just on the supply side of the tank repalce that ell. Pics sometime show things that are not there. It looks that the pump is the heighest point along that line, and with the reduction in size of pipe that traps a lot of air. anyway bigugh
  • corey
    Options
    Yes

That is correct. I purged as much air as possible at the top of the check valve. I have repeated this several times to see if any more would 'shake loose', but nothing.

Is my 007 really upside-down? Perhaps that is part of the problem. I could not find any install instructions regarding orientation at the Taco site, or anywhere else.
  • corey
    Options
    Highest point

Yes. You are seeing things correctly. The pump is essentially at the highest point in the line (other than the air scoop). The pipe reduces to 3/4 copper on the outlet side.

Thanks for the vent idea. The check valve vent just does not seem to be doing the job. I suppose air would have to go down through the indirect coil to even get to the check valve (which is on the return), and why would it want to..
  • heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Upside down?

Can anyone verify whether this circ is indeed installed upside-down? Still can't find any Taco install instructions...
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    By upside down

I think Ed is refering to the electrical junction box on the pump. I think the prefered location is on the side or top. Remove the four screws and turn the motor. With the water off and pressure drained, of course!

There should be an arrow on the pump volute indicating flow direction also, make sure she's pushing the right direction. If not remove the four flange bolts and flip the whole pump.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Corey

#1 What they are saying about the pump is that IF a leak occured it would leak into the electrical box and cause problems. This does not effect the operation of the pump, its just good practice

#2 After purging the air form the indirect loop the air left should be small bubbles that a standard air elimination device ie: air scoop should get rid of. Again good prectice but a vent at the top of the line is not necessary

#3 For proper air elimination from your system and for the air scoop to do its job it should be located 18" from the ell at the top of the riser coming out of the boiler. Yours looks like a 4" nipple. The water coming up that riser from
    the boiler riser is spinning around and needs that 18" to have time to rise to the top of the supply pipe and be eliminated by the vent at the top of the air scoop.

#4 For a proper "pumping away" set-up, your make up water connection should be located between the air scoop and the bladder tank ( the point of no preasure change in the system ). You cant do half of it and expect the same results.

#5 If your circulator is making noise and the systems is making domestic hot water, I would look at the volute of
    the circulator and see if any solder is stuck there. Enough air to make noise would not allow circulation( I think ).
    If you relocate the electrical box check the volute and be sure its clean.

Theres my opinions for what its worth

Good Luck

Scott

• heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks so much, Scott

You da man.
    The manufacturer's instructions (HTP- it's a Munchkin 140, which you cannot see in the photos) specify that the fresh water connection should be placed right at the boiler supply. This is not ideal for so many reasons, and I wonder why they would say to do it this way.
  • jwade55
    jwade55 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Maybe this will

• jwade55
    Options
    Maybe this will

help you out a bit.
  • jwade55
    Options