Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Steam

Options
steam boiler . 2 headers and 2 returns buried in the floor . Im sorry about the lack of light .

Comments

• The new Burnham 4 section

We used the 2nd steam outlet also to keep the system running smooth . We also installed an aquabooster , hooked into the coil . With the way these boilers push steam , those buried return pipes might have some problems down the road . Since there was only me , Ken and Paul on the job , we had to leave the old one for another day .
  • Front view

We let the system run to steam then wipe off the excess thread sealant .
  • Once again

Another fine job of installation and in an actual basement too! Are you going to paint the new pipes "Sherpa Blue" to match the old ones? Just kidding......Great job Ron and thanks for using Burnham!

Glenn Stanton
  • JIM F.
    JIM F. Member Posts: 82
    Options

nice job ron. what do you think about L type copper with expansion joints for headers???
  • Dave Palmer
    Dave Palmer Member Posts: 186
    Options

looks good, nice and neat.No thermo-switch? Not code where you are? Just wondering,Dave
  • Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Fittings

Aren't mallaeble fittings one of those big "steam no no's".
    I do like the tankless & electric hwt combo, does the boiler fire year round or does the electric kick in in the off months?---AL
  • Malleable fitting are fine

on steam headers - although you cant break em off like a good ol cast iron fitting . Someone said that the expansion rates between the 2 different types might cause a leak . Ive never seen that happen yet with black fittings .

Electric around here is almost the most expensive in the nation , so we dont wire in the elements . The boiler maintains a constant 150 to keep the coil hot . I wonder if a triple aquastat wired in somehow with the bronze circ would save some fuel ?
  • Thank you Glenn

Its a nice unit to install . Any chance of using studs and nuts to hold the oil burner into the door , instead of the bolts ? Trying to hold the burner in place while lining up the hole is pretty tedious . Otherwise its a great piece of equipment .
  • When I was a rookie

we used to use type L on the headers . I always found that it was much harder to try to fit the joints and solder them - rather than lining up black nipples and fittings . Others here have repeatedly seen copper headers pull apart or solder joints leak because of the expansion.

We use copper on the returns and equalizer , and havent had a problem yet . On this particular job , both returns were connected to the old boiler partly in copper , and they were the only part of the lower boiler not clogged with spooge . I didnt see any pitting on the inner lining of the copper either . I forgot to take a pic of that though . Thanks Jim .
  • What is a thermo switch ?

It might be called something different here ?
  • Dave is referring

to the Electrical Thermal Safety Switch. These are also referred to as Firomatic switches up here. They may have a fusible link insert or a wheel type fusible link. They are required above the burners in many localities in New England.

Glenn
  • That is not

in the plans at the present time. I too have had to deal with that on jobsite visits and it has been brought up for future revisions. We do appreciate the input, whether it be positive or negative, and we do respond to the issues that are brought up. Thanks again Ron.

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.