Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blue water

Options
Anyone know what could cause the water from the tap to run blue(i don't know if it's the hot or cold water or both).

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    blue?

copper water lines under certin water condititons can be blue. So can the water they hold. I'd suspect something in the water is causing the copper in the system to be released. Copper normally covers itself with a "patina" that does not corrode. However there are things that 'clean' the copper and allow that to become soluble in the water Get a clean jar, 1 qt. and take a sample to a lab for testing. bigugh
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Al, check...

for a bad electrical ground on a water meter connection or from the panel to a water pipe.kpc
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Cuprosolvency

is the ten dollar word for it. Generally caused by soft, low alkalinity, low mineralization water with a ph of 7 or lower.

Brand new copper pipe is especially sensitive to this. The copper pipe is best protected, as bigugh stated by allowing a protective layer to form on the inside of the copper tube. Installing a water softner on brand new copper piping will often cause this blue/green color and staining.

Best to have your water tested, it can be fixed.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    blue water

If this a potable water line.... and it just happens once in a while, do you use a toilet bowel cleaner cartridge that you put in your tank that turns the water blue in your toilet tank? If you do then you may have aback siphon problem in your tank. This is rare but I have seen it, usually when the water pressure is shut down in the house (well shuts off/city system drops off etc....)
This discussion has been closed.