Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler water question SE

A couple recent installs we have done (Buderus cast iron) indicate a high level of iron in the water coming from the well. I've never encountered this condition and frankly never thought about it. Question is.... Will this or can this cause a problem down the road as far as the boiler and piping go??

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=175&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Water Quality

Get the water tested. Know what is in it and what recomendations should be used. If the water is a one time fill (no leaks & or drains) you may be ok. If, however, there is a water use through the boiler, It most likely should be treated. You could also use a oversize (storage) bladder expansion tank and not connect to the well just pump (fill) the system with distilled or treated water. type in Water Quality on the net, also soft water, or hard water, bigugh
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    test it

if you know the ppms of iron this will indicate if if is acceptable to use. If in doubt take along some good quality water from your home or other known source. I keep a couple 55 gallon plastic barrels around the shop for hauling water to sites with bad, or unknown water quality.

Generally a brand new well will have high levels of junk still in suspension, until it is bailed or pumped for several days. Gritty water will really effect pump seals and other components.

Real high iron or calcium content will coat the inside of the HXs and could be a problem. High temperatures will really attract that calcium build up. Ever see a electric element after a day or so in hard water. A calcium build up starts from day one and as you know will shorten the life of that element considerably.

Of course a new boiler shouldn't see a continous supply of water, still why risk it?

Remember the inital fill water in a Taco pump will stay in that water lubed cartrige forever, make sure it's good stuff. Ph would be another number to watch will final fill water.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Thanks guys

It is, in fact an old shallow well. When the HO remodeled the house this summer he had the scree and drop pipe changed. I noticed the pieces laying on the ground when I was back there last week checking on things and the looks of the old pipe and screen really made me nervous. The drop pipe was totally encrusted with hard black deposits that appear to be iron bacteria caused. The screen was 90% plugged off also. I would think boiler temps would kill any bacteria in the fill water but I'm going to get a sample and see if I can find someone to test it.

Thanks again

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.